I generally take my time when approaching animals. I make sure my presence doesn't disturb them (as much as possible). Sometimes, I take up to 5 mins to swim a few metres before even lifting my camera so that the subject gets used to my presents and noise etc.
Obviously, this approach is not really pleasant for my dive buddies because they want to see and carry on with their dives. For that reason, either I have to change my approach or dive solo. If I am diving with a buddy, I defiantly change my approach and/or won't attempt to take certain shots. But I find myself diving solo more often of the same reason.
I am a qualified wreck, tech, cave and solo diver with multiple different agencies. My question is beyond the realm of certifying agencies, individual's qualifications and their skills/comfort level.
What I'd like to know is how many of you (UW Photographers) dive solo for the same or similar reasons? If so, how do you ensure your dives are safe? Do you have a dedicated checklist for equipment check, pre dive check, etc.? What do you watch for during dive (solo dive) to ensure your safety?
Also, my question is not about solo diving in general. The question is purely about UW Photographers who are qualified solo divers and within the limits of Solo diving/self-reliant diving certification.