Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Removing a handle, pros / cons?

Started by sinetwo ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing a handle, pros / cons?

7 posts
  1. Hi all, 

     

    I'm considering removing a handle from my housing and mounting another ball to the top of the housing where that handle would've connected. 

     

    Provided a rig is correctly weighted (slightly negative for me!), what are the pros / cons of doing this? I can think of a good few but wanted to open it up for discussion. 

     

    I'm also thinking of getting the handle/hand support so that it's easier to shoot one handed.

     

     

     

     

  2. What's the thinking behind removing a handle? Presumably the left hand one?

    I would have though this would limit to an extent the ability to hold the camera steady; and to be able to change certain setting easily. 

    I guess you could use the, say, left hand strobe arm as a replacement holding point - but I'm struggling to see where the advantage is.

  3. One advantage is that it can allow you to get the camera lower when shooting vertically. 

  4. I've done this to make my setup slightly smaller when taking ambient-light photographs of fast animals in the open ocean (with all the swimming inherent in that), and added a velcro strap to make the camera easier to grip one-handed.

    However, I see two handles as strictly necessary for stability when shooting video, and wouldn't really consider removing a handle when shooting a setup with arms/strobes/etc since the relative streamlining-related gains from removing a handle would be small.

  5. Thanks all, my initial thinking was:

    1. Travel, as I remove one arm anyway, can I shoot as well without a second handle? 

    2. Adding the velcro strap would help with one hand

    3. Slightly smaller footprint shooting vertically

    4. Would definitely help with extreme close focus wide angle lighting (one light will be closer)

    5. May feel unstable and awkward, particularly in stronger currents

    6. One hand shooting without another handle can make shooting "from the hip" easier

    7. One handing could also make light adjustments easier, with snooting. Being able to hold the snoot with one hand to make sml adjustments whilst keeping some distance from the viewfinder could be very beneficial.

    8. Having your left hand free will allow you to more easily keep your camera in place whilst making small adjustments. The problem here is thay you'll only really be able to easily use your left hand but not your right... 

     

    One could argue that a lot of the one handing can be done with two handles and a strap though.

  6. I removed the handle at the right side of my Nauticam housing and use a hand strap instead. The main reason is easy access of the shutter and the dials. It also helps a bit to enter the set in narrow places. Often I just hold the camera just with my right hand in the strap, it enhances movability. However, I must add that I have the smallest Olympus OMD camera so I don't know if it would work for you.

  7. I can definitely remove the left arm without a problem, but without the right I can't attach the strap hehe. 

    I've ordered the necessary stuff and will definitely look into it! 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.