I am looking for suggestions for a good carry on to hold my bcd, fun, full face mask and camera. I went to the dive store and the lady said just get a regular bag, a "scuba" labeled bag makes it a target. Any suggestions? I will have a other bag for clothes but it can fit under the seat
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
Travel Bag
-
-
Unless you have a really small camera with no strobes I can’t imagine a bag that fits all of that and can be carried on.
-
The only way I can think of to fit a BCD and a camera system into a carry-on is an Oceanic Jetpack or something similar, i.e. a BCD which is your carry-on bag.
-
I confirm that no bag should indicate that you are a scubadiver/UW-photographer, endless discussions upon check in can happen: not often, but sometimes we had problems, the airline wanting us to pay extra for every piece of lugagge (when just a snorkel or a fin is in a bag, they considered it to qualify for "diving-lugagge" requirering extra payment). Once a woman tried to steal my Mares pro divingrucksack, obviously she was out for diving equipment...
I have check in lugagge like this (usually one as regular lugagge and an additional as sports-lugagge to house all the extra fotogear): https://www.amazon.de/dp/B009LK0HKS/?tag=glv-21&ascsubtag=2fa7b32a-cc4c-4e05-8e95-87c239439e43&th=1&psc=1&linkCode=osi
For the more delicate items I use a Lowepro "Fotorucksack" (e.g.: https://www.hartlauer.at/produkt/lowepro-pro-tactic-450-aw-ii/ERP_ARTICLE_230022655.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtp2bBhAGEiwAOZZTuFJ85pdjlUCzHvyH_xxV8IyKa3CpcOk52rpXy4ofkyffh_jCcEh2EBoCs60QAvD_BwE) plus a fotobag (e.g.: https://www.hartlauer.at/produkt/lowepro-nova-200-aw-ii-schwarz/ERP_ARTICLE_230023494.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtp2bBhAGEiwAOZZTuC9kaaVvlZmZU6quV7YPjo_LbbYExkkFQpNB4jakME08ld0Rrey7VRoCDJsQAvD_BwE). These go with me to the cabin of the airoplane...
Wolfgang
-
About the largest carry-on that airlines will let you get away with on international flights is about 25 litres. This is about 55 x 35 x 25 cm,
21.5 x 13.8 x 10 in. This is an easy size to find in many luggage stores.Why not map out a space on the floor this size and see if you can get everything to fit? If you can, you know what size to go for.
A soft-sided bag is usually easier to move and get into luggage bins than hard-sided. Wheels maybe if your gear is heavy.
From my travels the issue is usually the weight of the carry-on rather than size. I think many WPers find it easy to smash the usual carry-on weight allowance with a housing, camera and bits and bobs.
-
4 hours ago, TimG said:
About the largest carry-on that airlines will let you get away with on international flights is about 25 litres. This is about 55 x 35 x 25 cm,
21.5 x 13.8 x 10 in. This is an easy size to find in many luggage stores.Why not map out a space on the floor this size and see if you can get everything to fit? If you can, you know what size to go for.
A soft-sided bag is usually easier to move and get into luggage bins than hard-sided. Wheels maybe if your gear is heavy.
From my travels the issue is usually the weight of the carry-on rather than size. I think many WPers find it easy to smash the usual carry-on weight allowance with a housing, camera and bits and bobs.
I am definitely going to map it out on the floor and see what space I need
-
Make sure you clarify with the check in clerk that your bag is oversize and not over weight is it is oversized. I used to travel for triathlon with my bike in a rigid box, they almost always tried to charge me for the overweight fees until I told them to weigh the box,it always came in under the weight limits.
-
I semi started laying out, zeagle stiletto wrapped the fins inside, I will wrap the hoses inside too. My wetsuit is a shorty and that can go in the clothes bag. I measured and top to bottom the bcd is 26" I think I can fold it up a little and make it shorter but I don't want to kink the hoses or am I being parinoid?
-
You might want to consider small travel fins like the Scubapro Go. They will save a lot of space and potentially weight for carry on sized luggage.
- brett
-
11 hours ago, underwaternoir said:
but I don't want to kink the hoses or am I being parinoid?
It's very hard to truly kink the hoses. They allow a degree of bend but I wouldn't force them into a bend they do not naturally want to make. So no, not paranoid. Don't bend them out of shape completely.
Brett suggets the Scubapro Go fins. I've been thinking about those too for travel: lightweight and not very long. I've used them a couple of times for easy dives taking pics and they were just fine. I don't know what they'd be like in serious current though - if that's where you might be diving.