Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Camera got wet

Started by Pixelbranch ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera got wet

4 posts
  1. Hey, 

    Unfortunately my camera got wet just before I even arrive at my diving destination and use it. It is.a sony rx 100 va. 

    It was in a backpack in a camera bag and a bottle leaked out. I know, stupid mistake. 

    I also didn't read how to solve this before acting. So I just wiped off the water and then tried to switch on to see if it works. For a while nothing happened, I wiped a bit more and then the lens moved out, but after that nothing. 

    So then I started reading and removed the battery and memory card and am trying to dry it now. 

    Is there any chance that it will work again or did I destroy it by switching it on wet? 

    There might be a small chance of buying a new camera before reaching the diving destination, that's why I'm asking. 

    Thank you so much

  2. Difficult to diagnose from remote, whether the camera can be rescued..

    => An important rule is that you never should switch a wet camera "on" before it has completely dried: the electrical current will couse electrolysis and corrosion. Therefore you should wait until it is completely dry before the next attempt...

    My wife once flooded a camera, but this was complete and in saltwater. My experience was that one can throw away camera and lens after the flooding...

     

    Wolfgang

     

  3. You could try putting it in a ziplock bag with some sort of agent that will draw the water out: rice, a box of baking soda, silica gel packets. This should help dry out any remaining water.

    But as you discovered and as Wolfgang posts, not switching it on until you have got it dried out fully is key......

    If you can get a camera en route and photography is a key part of your trip, I'd be very tempted to buy another one. At least then if you can get get the old one to work, you have a  backup for the future.

    Edited by TimG
  4. On the positive side, it was fresh water so you could be in with a chance. Beyond that follow Wolfgang and Tim’s advice.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.