Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

recommendation for tray / arm system

Started by ashic ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

recommendation for tray / arm system

6 posts
  1. I've got a lowly seafrogs housing that I've been fairly happy with (paired with the awesome Sony A1 and a YS-D3 mkii strobe). The tray I've been using is fairly basic, and on a recent dive trip, I was really annoyed by the poor quality clamps I've been using until now. They were either too lose meaning the strobe would get dislodged even with mild swimming, or too stiff to the point where one actually cut into a bit of the rubber on the ball of my strobe. I think I do need to upgrade to a better quality tray + arm system that will allow easier loosening / tightening to keep the arms compact when travelling, and move them while underwater while not worrying whether they'll stay in place or not. Since it's a one time purchase, I'm fine with spending a bit more if it's genuinely worth it. Which brand(s) / model(s) would you recommend?

  2. The tray is fine, so are the arms - what you have encountered are cheap crappy clamps. Get a set of ULCS (Ultralight Control Systems) clamps and forget about issues. If you're using two arm segments per side then you're best off with four regular clamps and two long ones to connect the segments; that way you have enough space to add floats as needed.

    https://www.divervision.com/tray-arm/ultralight-ac-csf-new-style-clamp-ac-csf

    https://www.divervision.com/tray-arm/ultralight-ac-csl-new-style-long-clamp-ac-csl

    If you mount an additional arm across the top of your tray, then replace two of the regular clamps with triples

    https://www.divervision.com/tray-arm/ultralight-ac-tcs-triple-clamp-ac-tcs

  3. @Barmaglot thanks... that makes sense. I was looking to replace the tray too, as it's a bit tricky to screw in, having caught a bit of rust over four years. 

    Quick question - what would be an additional arm across the top be used for? 

  4. I put a dive computer there, so that it's always in front of my eyes, although I mount it between the right tray handle and cold shoe.

    image.thumb.png.7b53cda9277d28b7e2610943167b362d.png

  5. I believe Ultralight offers clamps with 2 thread sizes: 20-coarse and 28-fine.  If buying new, i would go with the 28-fine to give a bit more fine adjustment for the sweet spot where your arms can move, but do not flop around.  Perhaps someone who has used both thread sizes can offer hands on feedback?

    Also, I've used both triple clamps, and Nauticam's Multi-purpose clamp + ball mount(72502) + (72511) to secure a cross arm similar to @Barmaglot, except both ends were secured.  The Nauticam clamps worked better for me, because you can leave the cross bar clamped down, and only loosen the clamp holding the arm.  With triple clamps, loosening the clamp to adjust the arm also leaves the cross bar loose.  Given the Nauticam price increases, I wouldn't go this route now, but in a 'money no object' world, that would be my recommendation.

  6. Photo of my wife's kit showing multi-purpose clamps on cross-bar.

     

    multi-clamp.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.