Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D500 Locking off auto focus

Started by Mags ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D500 Locking off auto focus

4 posts
  1. Hi - Preparing for a trip to Indonesia, Nikon D500 new camera (for me, used to be an Olympus user) and no such thing as a stupid question! sooooo- saw this by Adam Hanlon - Question how do you actually lock the auto focus at a known distance on the D500??

    I have found that newer AF systems are more accurate than my eye and in situations where they fail (the complete darkness inside a wreck for example) locking off the autofocus at a known distance in the light zone prior to entering the darkness is a viable technique. With super macro lens attachments, the AF is racked in to its closest focus and then sharpness achieved by rocking the whole camera in and out.

    It may be contentious, but I cannot see of a need for manual focus with this camera (unless the chosen lens does not allow for AF) underwater.

    Edited by Mags
  2. Hey Mags

    I've been using a D500 since 2017 for macro and wide-angle. It's vey rare indeed that I'd switch it to manual focus. Very rare. 

    To lock it at a fixed stance I guess you would focus on something at whatever distance you wanted using the AF. Once there flip the focus control button on your housing from AF to M. And bingo. 

    Otherwise to need to fit a focussing ring on your lens and green switch to manual.

    You could also the cameras systems menu so that focus is achieved using the AF-On button and the shutter release only fires the shutter. But that would not lock the focus distance for all shots - only each time you press AF-On. 

    In the example you quote from Adam, I think I'd try the AF at the distance you want. If that doesn't work, use a dive light to help the camera achieve focus using the AF-On and then fire the shutter release when you are ready.  

    I just hope now that doesn't qualify as a stupid answer :rolleyes:

  3. On 11/8/2022 at 8:47 PM, TimG said:

    Hey Mags

    I've been using a D500 since 2017 for macro and wide-angle. It's vey rare indeed that I'd switch it to manual focus. Very rare. 

    To lock it at a fixed stance I guess you would focus on something at whatever distance you wanted using the AF. Once there flip the focus control button on your housing from AF to M. And bingo. 

    Otherwise to need to fit a focussing ring on your lens and green switch to manual.

    You could also the cameras systems menu so that focus is achieved using the AF-On button and the shutter release only fires the shutter. But that would not lock the focus distance for all shots - only each time you press AF-On. 

    In the example you quote from Adam, I think I'd try the AF at the distance you want. If that doesn't work, use a dive light to help the camera achieve focus using the AF-On and then fire the shutter release when you are ready.  

    I just hope now that doesn't qualify as a stupid answer :rolleyes:

    Not at all - Thanks again!

  4. I regularly go to custom menu (a8 or a7) to switch between backbutton + shutter half press, or just back button focus. This allows me to do exactly that.

     

    Howeber you need to be really mindful to not press the back button during your "frozen focus" session! 

     

    The last thing is for you to enable "release" as opposed to "focus+release". The latter will wait for focus confirmation before it shoots, the former will allow you to shoot whenever you want. 

     

    I agree with Adam, I see no real need for manual focus for most photography. Back button to approximate, then rock to lock. 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.