Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon Fisheye

Started by Btscott ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon Fisheye

8 posts
  1. I am finding a lack of sharpness using Tokina 10-17 fisheye. Wondering how much improvement I will find with Canon 8-15 fisheye. Any opinions? Rhx!

  2. If you are using the 10-17 on a FF camera, they are pretty horrible. On an APS-C (in my case the Nikon D500), I can't see the difference between the Tokina and the Nikon 8-15mm

  3. I have a APS-C. Happy with all my other lens, but wide angle just hasn't been great. I'm sure conditions are a factor. Just curious if other have used both and seen improvement.

  4. The 8-15mm on APS-C is nice and arguably more useful than on FF  in that you do actually have a true zoom but only, I'd say, from about 11mm to 15mm. 

    But I doubt you'd see much of a difference between the 10-17 and the 8-15. Certainly not enough, I'd suggest,  to justify spending $1200 on the 8-15.

     

  5. I would buy used if it shows some decent improvement. Agree not worth the $1200 to switch.

  6. I use both 8mm - 15mm Canon and 10mm - 17mm Tokina fisheyes on MFT (Oly EM1-II and EM5-II). I confirm that there is no difference in sharpness between these lenses UW. The Tokina gets softer, when used with a 1.4x TC, while the Canon is still sharp with it, but without TC the IQ is practically the same...

    For the smaller MFT sensor, the focal length of 8mm - 15mm is the optimum, while for APS-C 10mm - 17mm is the range of choice. No reason to go for the  8mm - 15mm with an APS-C camera, except the good feeling to have a high quality lens behind the domeport, compared to the low budget Tokina (but the lower IQ of the Tokina is over the water, not UW)...

     

    Wolfgang

  7. Any difference between Canon 15 mm and Sigma 15 mm fisheye on a FF Sony A7RIV?

  8. 12 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

    I use both 8mm - 15mm Canon and 10mm - 17mm Tokina fisheyes on MFT (Oly EM1-II and EM5-II). I confirm that there is no difference in sharpness between these lenses UW. The Tokina gets softer, when used with a 1.4x TC, while the Canon is still sharp with it, but without TC the IQ is practically the same...

    For the smaller MFT sensor, the focal length of 8mm - 15mm is the optimum, while for APS-C 10mm - 17mm is the range of choice. No reason to go for the  8mm - 15mm with an APS-C camera, except the good feeling to have a high quality lens behind the domeport, compared to the low budget Tokina (but the lower IQ of the Tokina is over the water, not UW)...

     

    Wolfgang

    Sounds like my issue is that I have been using the Kenko 1.4 TC. Sometimes like the extra reach. Regardless, thanks for the info.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.