Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

World's first Isotta housing with Nauticam WWL-1B

Started by Namton ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

World's first Isotta housing with Nauticam WWL-1B

19 posts
  1. Banda Sea : Ring of fire

    Nov 2022

    ——————————————
     
    Camera : Isotta SONY A7RIV + 28-60 mm
    Zoom gear for 28-60 (is-3540) 
    M67 Macro port H63 B120 (is-2364)
    Nauticam WWL-1B + SMC-1
    Strobes : Sea & sea YS-D3
     
    ——————————————
     
    Thanks Elisa Isotta for customizing my zoom gear. I really recommend Isotta Housings. Very good customer service. Italian-made aluminum housings are compact, meticulously engineered, and ergonomic.
     
    Thanks Thomas from Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo for your advice about my housing : Isotta's housing plus Nauticam wet wide lens.
    I have tested it underwater and the result is great. No vignetting at wide open 28mm. Corner sharpness is quite good ( Better than 16-35 with glass dome port but not equal WACP).
    In addition, in the single dive I can shoot both macro and wide angle. It’s a great solution.
     
    Thanks Mr.ChrisRoss for your advice about contact the Isotta factory. 
     
     
     
     

    Bandasea cover1.png

    7150C996-8286-49BB-8CFE-DAE37E0B3782-54960-00001224D3BD6B31.JPG

    1.jpg

    9.jpg

    2.jpg

    4.jpg

    5.jpg

    6.jpg

    7.jpg

    10.jpg

    12.jpg

    13.jpg

    17.jpg

    18.jpg

    25.jpg

  2. Nice results, glad it worked out well for you.

  3. Amazing! Yes Thomas at backscatter is my go to guy as well. Superb pics and great looking rig. 

  4. 15 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Nice results, glad it worked out well for you.

    Thanks :yahoo:

  5. 8 hours ago, tcle80 said:

    Amazing! Yes Thomas at backscatter is my go to guy as well. Superb pics and great looking rig. 

    Thanks. Hope to see you rig and pictures too! :good:

  6. So did you just get the port customized so it has two notches like all the nauticam ports have?

  7. 5 minutes ago, hyp said:

    So did you just get the port customized so it has two notches like all the nauticam ports have?

    No. I do it myself because I'm not sure how to tell Isotta where exactly to make the notch ( If the notch moves off center a little bit, the dome shade will show in the picture.)

    2.jpeg

    1.jpeg

  8. It's strange that Isotta was not able to give you a WWL-1 port directly from the factory.

    As far I know there is at least another guy with a GH5 Isotta housing and a WWL-1 port produced directly from Isotta.

    He is Enrico Rabboni, who won several prizes at the last Madeira Underwater European Contest with this setup.

    813ebe97-a6a8-4319-8503-86847da08479.thumb.jpg.07b9ae458bc70789bcc5ca911dff067b.jpg

     

  9. -

    Edited by Namton — Forget to quote
  10. On 11/24/2022 at 5:58 AM, Davide DB said:

    It's strange that Isotta was not able to give you a WWL-1 port directly from the factory.

    As far I know there is at least another guy with a GH5 Isotta housing and a WWL-1 port produced directly from Isotta.

    He is Enrico Rabboni, who won several prizes at the last Madeira Underwater European Contest with this setup.

    813ebe97-a6a8-4319-8503-86847da08479.thumb.jpg.07b9ae458bc70789bcc5ca911dff067b.jpg

     

    That's great! 

    I didn't ask Isotta to do it because in my opinion at first, I want to adjust the length from the back of WWL to front of flat port. Isotta support told me at 28 mm it will show slightly vignetting. So I think if I glide the flat port thread about 0.5 to 1 mm. It might help with vignetting. I think it is better to try it first and adjust by myself.

    But when I try with WWL underwater. The vignetting at 28 mm is all gone. (Because there is a water between WWL and flat port)

    I'm not sure is Mr.Enrico Rabboni has the corner vignetting at the widest open like Isotta support told me or not?

    Wish to know his review with his setup for education and maybe someone can follow our setup.

  11. I do not know him personally. I have seen his videos on FB through some mutual friends. You can try to contact him on FB and ask him for information.

    https://m.facebook.com/enrico.rabboni

    It is good to know that other manufacturers also make ports compatible with WWL-1. I hoped Aquatica would also make one but so far no news....

  12. On 11/23/2022 at 4:35 PM, Namton said:

    No. I do it myself because I'm not sure how to tell Isotta where exactly to make the notch ( If the notch moves off center a little bit, the dome shade will show in the picture.)

    2.jpeg

    1.jpeg

    That's awesome but i don t understand why you had to grind additional groves, the issota port already has four groves image.thumb.png.73f004fcecef7bbbf9f57ee997cb60c9.png

  13. 4 hours ago, nomadadv said:

    That's awesome but i don t understand why you had to grind additional groves, the issota port already has four groves 

    The Nauticam bayonet mount adapter has a pair of locking pins which span the groove that goes over the port flange:

    image.png.70c68ce355177011c768395120ddc4e5.png

    Nauticam's own ports have a pair of matching cutouts:

    image.png.e8f602cf06d02d563bac7c2ee6642183.png

    ...so if you want to use those pins to prevent the adapter from rotating, you need to replicate at least one of them.

  14. 4 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

    The Nauticam bayonet mount adapter has a pair of locking pins which span the groove that goes over the port flange:

    image.png.70c68ce355177011c768395120ddc4e5.png

    Nauticam's own ports have a pair of matching cutouts:

    image.png.e8f602cf06d02d563bac7c2ee6642183.png

    ...so if you want to use those pins to prevent the adapter from rotating, you need to replicate at least one of them.

    Thank you for that makes complete sense!  another and last question anyone got any idea how Enrico managed to attach his wet lens  on the isotta handle bar?

  15. 1 hour ago, nomadadv said:

    Thank you for that makes complete sense!  another and last question anyone got any idea how Enrico managed to attach his wet lens  on the isotta handle bar?

    I'm not Enrico, but I would guess a plastic hose clamp + Nauticam bayonet mount lens holder, probably the model for Inon float arms, with the screw attaching it to the hose clamp instead of the arm itself (Inon arms have a threaded mounting point for lens holders, but the tube in question looks like a 70mm Isotta arm, which does not have that).

  16. yes i have both also i know that the thread in the inon arm is not m8 which raised the question after a bit of research he used the 70mm nauticam bracket  many thanks barmaglot

     

     

    Edited by nomadadv
  17. I will ask to Enrico to comment here 

  18. 47 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

    I will ask to Enrico to comment here 

    I pmed him on fb :-)))

    Edited by nomadadv
  19. Enrico Rabboni sent me some photos and explanation of his mod setup that couldd be useful to other isotta users.

    He subscribed to WP but he forgot to post them so I'll post for him.

    Basically FWIU he got a custom M67 flat port and a zoom gear for Pana 14-42mm form Elisa Isotta. Other bits are all standard nauticam parts. He can swap CMC-2 and WWL-1 underwater and he has full zoom.

    He managed to mount the baionet adapter without having the cutouts.

    Bye

    318857468_846532860014643_1083003020670282856_n.thumb.jpg.ce82e1c79801993d01ce5c26b4f0514d.jpg

    318456897_670862954519451_1379806804634963636_n.thumb.jpg.0324cb08b9a3820e73841eb0ec284da0.jpg

    318566589_2704159033053396_1689473477930252353_n.thumb.jpg.bbad281d929d4127a5c3cf09cc156d97.jpg

    318442033_442251028122530_7228453461636911233_n.thumb.jpg.219980d6ef48319842f136d136fa9a56.jpg

    318377029_937605790545628_7612115676947199795_n.thumb.jpg.c6580642b051f9f56eb6d9ecffada094.jpg

    318600099_3391829451100241_5366969909901465044_n.thumb.jpg.48a59278ed8df17647923723e4fcb80b.jpg

    318976678_3475679349328055_1517397063107596744_n.thumb.jpg.bd8b2b70c7ba58ea5d906e267e2f58ac.jpg

    Edited by Davide DB

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.