Is there a dive set-up guide out there for The Sony A1? I searched the forums here but did not find anything.
Thanks!
Read-only discussion
Is there a dive set-up guide out there for The Sony A1? I searched the forums here but did not find anything.
Thanks!
The manual and help guide are here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-1-series/ilce-1/manuals
Blue water Photo do one. https://youtu.be/VB6w5UeNt2o
The bluewater one above is great.
I also suggest going through Steve Perry's video to understand some of the focusing options. It's only for topside. I bought his guide as well but didn't find it particularly useful.
I guess these settings apply atleast partly to A7RV. Im moving to Sony with this camera first time.
On the same note, I want to confirm with the group here that the nauticam housing for this camera does not have a way to control the d-pad dial, right?
I'm wary of set-up guides for any camera. They are inevitably a compromise since the variety of subjects, lens options, shooting conditions, different types of lighting and all the factors around different subjects render them largely useless.
The basics of exposure remain constant on all cameras!
However understanding your camera's setting is an excellent goal, and this can be achieved by using the camera as much as possible topside. Understanding AF settings is best achieved by experimenting topside, and then translating this learned knowledge to the underwater setting.
Underwater lens choices are best discussed specifically, and there are lots of amazing threads about the options for Sony mirrorless cameras on here.
19 hours ago, vaidhy said:On the same note, I want to confirm with the group here that the nauticam housing for this camera does not have a way to control the d-pad dial, right?
I recently purchased the A1 and Nauticam housing and can confirm the control wheel to the right of the rear screen is not accessible in the Nauticam housing. The five push buttons, Top, Bottom, Left, Right and Center that are integrated with the control wheel are available on the housing, as is the joy stick above the control wheel. For what it’s worth, with only two dives with A1, I haven’t felt restricted without the control wheel. The only time I would have used would’ve been to adjust ISO, but the up/down buttons serve to adjust.
I found that using the up/down buttons to change ISO is a bit cumbersome as the right hand needs to move to access the controls.
So I assigned a new dial control (under setup / dial customize), My Dial 1, which uses Av/ISO instead of Av/Tv.
Then I set up C3 to toggle between the normal operating mode (Av/Tv) and My Dial 1 (Av/ISO). This way I can just use C3 with my left hand once, and change the ISO with the front dial, then shoot. It switches back to Av/Tv automatically after that.
Nice, I’ll try using a custom button as yiu mention, Johan. Thx.
Using Sony A1 in Nauticam housing for a year now. Maybe 100 dives with. I have never ever once missed controlling ISO with the rotating wheel. Once ISO dial is clicked, instead of UP/DOWN, you could also easily use Av/Tv (front dial/rear dial) to go up or down on the ISO. It's much more intuitive underwater.
isotta is also coming up with an a1 housing..
Thanks for this discussion-- If folks are interested in sharing their particular custom set up profiles there is also this thread which discusses that topic:
View archived post in: Sony Memory Recall and custom settings
Since it is easy to save and share set-up profiles I would be keen to try other people's custom settings!
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.