Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Socorro gear

Started by Stoo ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Socorro gear

9 posts
  1. This isn't really a travel topic, but more a gear question, but since it's regarding a somewhat unique location, I thought this might be a more sensible place. (Please feel free to re-locate, Esteemed Administrators!)

    I am signed up for a Socorro trip and thinking of how I can dodge this stupid duty/situation. Normally, I roll with a Pelican carry-on case. My plan is to get a padded insert (see image) and stuff it in to a ratty old backpack, and chance checking my housing in with the clothes.

    In order to do this, I want to strip my gear down to only what's required. My understanding (and this is really what I'm wanting to confirm), is that Socorro is 99% wide angle (mantas, dolphins etc).  I was thinking I'd take a 12-24 and a 10-17 (on a D500/Aquatica rig), a couple of strobes, and leave the macro stuff behind. Am I on the right track? If I can dump the 60, 105, flat port etc that would help. I've read most of the trip reports here and the images suggest I'm not wrong. I have little interest in shooting fish portraits, and if macro stuff is limited to the odd lobster or moray in the rocks, I'm not concerned.

    I'd appreciate your insights if you've travelled here.

    Thanks!

     

    Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 8.10.03 PM.png

    Edited by Stoo
  2. i would say its safe to leave macro behind. Atleast to my experience (only few liveaboard trips).

    Also packing in "normal" backpack instead of Pelican, you have far less chance being stopped by customs scam. I would also look into buying dedicated ThinkTank or similar backpack, instead of inserts to old backpack.

  3. Thanks Sokrates... I have a soft-side roller camera case as well as the Pelican. My concern would be if the customs dudes are on the lookout for serious camera gear, such a case would be a give-away, just as the Pelican case would be. If I leave the macro stuff behind, I really only have strobes, two lenses and two domes.

  4. but doesn't every piece of luggage go through that conveyor belt scanner on arrival, before you get to the green/red light button?   

    I recall the person observing the regs in the scan, and asked how many we had.  

    I'd agree that macro wouldn't be missed.  Much of the time you're in current anyway, and you never know when the big guys could come along.  

  5. Screening is fairly random. I packed my scuba gear in Pelicans and my camera gear in suitcases. They zeroed in on my Pelicans and let the suitcase go uninspected.

  6. Screening is fairly random. I packed my scuba gear in Pelicans and my camera gear in suitcases. They zeroed in on my Pelicans and let the suitcase go uninspected.

    The diversion technique, love it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. I was in the Socorro Islands in April 2018.  Great diving for lots of manta rays, dolphins, a variety of sharks, whale sharks, some large tuna, and some dense fish schools.  Given all of the big stuff in the Socorro Islands, I would leave macro lens home and take wide angle lenses.  The reef is very different from most regions in that it is mostly barren rock, so not very good for macro.  Interesting rock formations, though.  My favorite was Roca Partida, which attracts big animals.  Amazing vertical walls into the abyss.  I always carry with me my camera gear in pelican and soft case.  50% of time TSA inspects it---usually for batteries. So far I have only lost a 4 inch Allen wrench to security in Korea. 

  8. Can’t recommend a good way to avoid them finding your gear (they found mine and I paid the tax), but I also confirm your macro stuff is unnecessary. You won’t miss it.

  9. Hello,

    I am exactly in the same dilema as you. I almost thought about leaving my camera gear behind. I was planning to get a friendly shop to wirte me a "receipt" saying all my stuff was purchased "used" and right down the value about 50% of the true purchase price, just in case i get screened and they try googling my gear I can show the "actual" price I paid. Not sure if others have tried this in the past?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.