Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony A1/A7S3 (maybe others) Video Codecs Analysis

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony A1/A7S3 (maybe others) Video Codecs Analysis

11 posts
  1. Hey interceptor Gr8 article as always :-) very intersting i was thinking of you when stumbling on this video: 

    I would love to know your feedback on the wb on the a1, i do think his magentas are very high ..

  2. 2 hours ago, nomadadv said:

    Hey interceptor Gr8 article as always :-) very intersting i was thinking of you when stumbling on this video: 

    I would love to know your feedback on the wb on the a1, i do think his magentas are very high ..

    Sony historically had issues on custom white balance underwater until the A7S3

    I have seen enough examples of the A1 not to worry about but when eventually I take it underwater you will be the first to know!

  3. I'm sure you are not worried but i am very interested thank you !

  4. The fellow in that video was shooting HLG3 and when I last checked that Codec was prone to error. This was when the a7s3 first came out and I was hunting for the best possible Codec to use. That sorted itself for me to using the Slog 3 Gamma 3, which requires more work in post than I suspect the HLG3 Codec needed. But I never got the color shift while shooting UW. Not with the a7s3 or the a1. I used this Codec with manual WB for nearly 200 dives. My last trip in November I did try the AWB setting on both cameras, seemed fine on footage review aboard the ship I was on. But eventually went back to Manual, while more a PITA it just felt better, probably because I knew that worked reliably.

  5. The fellow in that video was shooting HLG3 and when I last checked that Codec was prone to error. This was when the a7s3 first came out and I was hunting for the best possible Codec to use. That sorted itself for me to using the Slog 3 Gamma 3, which requires more work in post than I suspect the HLG3 Codec needed. But I never got the color shift while shooting UW. Not with the a7s3 or the a1. I used this Codec with manual WB for nearly 200 dives. My last trip in November I did try the AWB setting on both cameras, seemed fine on footage review aboard the ship I was on. But eventually went back to Manual, while more a PITA it just felt better, probably because I knew that worked reliably.

    Slog3/ sgamut3 is expected to be used in HDR projects while sgamut3.cine is for sdr
    I would never work in HLG natively as the monitor colors are off
    I am deciding if underwater I will sgamut3 standard or cine but definitely not HLG


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. 13 hours ago, Whipauee said:

    The fellow in that video was shooting HLG3 and when I last checked that Codec was prone to error. This was when the a7s3 first came out and I was hunting for the best possible Codec to use. That sorted itself for me to using the Slog 3 Gamma 3, which requires more work in post than I suspect the HLG3 Codec needed. But I never got the color shift while shooting UW. Not with the a7s3 or the a1. I used this Codec with manual WB for nearly 200 dives. My last trip in November I did try the AWB setting on both cameras, seemed fine on footage review aboard the ship I was on. But eventually went back to Manual, while more a PITA it just felt better, probably because I knew that worked reliably.

    super interesting though this raises another point what would be the difference using a ninja v

     

    Edited by nomadadv
  7. 16 hours ago, nomadadv said:

    super interesting though this raises another point what would be the difference using a ninja v

     

    None. The gamma is set by the camera picture profile

    Avoid HLG like the plague. you can see from the video the guy looks radioactive

  8. On 12/7/2022 at 2:24 PM, Interceptor121 said:

    I am deciding if underwater I will sgamut3 standard or cine but definitely not HLG

    So which way did you decide to go @Interceptor121-- sgamut3 or sgamut3.cine? I'd love to hear more about your workflow after playing around with the different codecs. 

  9. 7 minutes ago, Driftc said:

    So which way did you decide to go @Interceptor121-- sgamut3 or sgamut3.cine? I'd love to hear more about your workflow after playing around with the different codecs. 

    for now I am solid on Sgamut3.cine

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.