Recommendations for a compact dome setup Sony A7Riv w/ Nauticam
Started by Freedive Kauai ·
7Posts
7Replies
Read-only discussion
Recommendations for a compact dome setup Sony A7Riv w/ Nauticam
7 posts
Aloha,
I have moved from my Seacam w/ A7r3 to a Nauticam housing and Sony A7r4. I have been shooting using the Sea&Sea 12mm fisheye with adapter to keep my setup compact but I need to be able to shoot above water sometimes now and trying to figure out the best setup to keep it small. I use it while freediving and loved the compact nature of the Seacam. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your time.
Here's a list of current lenses I shoot with underwater.
Sony GM 14mm f1.8, Batis 18mm f2.8, Sony GM 24mm f1.4,
If you want compact on full frame you are talking either a fisheye on an adapter or a WWL. rectilinear wides need big domes to give the best performance. A number of people on here run adapted Canon 8-15 on Sony and it is reported to work well, you can use it in a 140mm dome on Nauticam. I assume you are talking about wide angle work, how important is zooming in?
If you're happy with your Sea & Sea lens, why not keep using it? It can be mounted on Nauticam housings.
@ChrisRoss Yes, I know of the 8-15 but I am attempting to get as lightweight and small as possible, I was hoping to find a dome lens combo that doesn't need any extensions. No need to zoom, less is better.
@Barmaglot I do use the Sea&Sea lens but its for UW only and im in need of a dual setup for above water quick shots at times. If you mean the Seacam, I sold the entire setup
I have used all three lenses with Sony FF cameras and the answer is that none of the recommended dome ports work without a port extension. They can be used with the 180mm port (14mm F1.8 will be bad) but the 230mm/Zen 200mm (used no longer made) will give you best results. I have also used the S&S lens and it is made for ports 230mm or larger, results in 180mm may be worse that without the lens.
6 hours ago, Freedive Kauai said:
@ChrisRoss Yes, I know of the 8-15 but I am attempting to get as lightweight and small as possible, I was hoping to find a dome lens combo that doesn't need any extensions. No need to zoom, less is better.
@Barmaglot I do use the Sea&Sea lens but its for UW only and im in need of a dual setup for above water quick shots at times. If you mean the Seacam, I sold the entire setup
Right well you could try the sigma 15mm fisheye in a 140mm dome, but that needs a port extension as well. There really is no option for Sony to use a small dome no extension setup, you are restricted to fisheyes if you want a small dome and Sony does not have a native fisheye.
Smallest you could get would be a N-100-120 adapter then the Zen DP100-N120CR dome which has the extension built into it:
The only thing smaller is the various Nikonos lenses but you are back to not focusing in air. The Zen 4" dome will work with the Canon 8-15/adapter but the corners are probably not quite as good as the 140mm dome. The Sigma lens won't fit in the 4" dome because of the non removable hood. BTW on full frame the Canon is not a zoom it's either a 8mm circular or 15mm full frame, in between you get vignetting that doesn't cover the frame.
Nauticam WWL-C focuses in air, right? You could use that with Sony 24mm f/2.8 G and flat port 23; take it off the port if you need to narrow the FoV. Or would that still be too big and heavy?