Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon AF-D lenses on Mirrorless

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon AF-D lenses on Mirrorless

10 posts
  1. I am a Nikon SLR shooter and expect to be shooting mirrorless in the future. However I currently cannot use my Nikon AF-D (screw-drive AF) lenses on Nikon Mirrorless housings. Are there any lens adaptors out there that allow these lenses to be used on other mirrorless bodies?

    Alex

  2. There's the Megadep adapter for Leica to which you could add a Nikon to Leica adapter.  It moves the lens in and out to focus and I'd expect you lose the auto diaphragm with that option.

    https://megadap.net/product/mtz11/

    I'd be tempted to try to Sony 28-70 with the Megadep E to Z mount adapter before I tried anything like the Leica adapter.  I'm assuming your primary concern is the Nikon 28-70?  Or is it more the Nikonos 13mm?

    https://megadap.net/product/megadap-sony-e-to-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-etz21/

  3. The three lenses I am interested in are, 13mm RS (which has been a major lens for me over the last 8 years and it would be sad to retire it). The 20mm, which I use with my Zeiss corrector port - but maybe there is a Sony lens I could use instead. And 28-70mm for WACPs. With three potential uses finding an adaptor is attractive. 

  4. I use the 13mm on Sony mirrorless via a Techart adapter. It moves the lens in and out to focus similar to the Megadap adapter that Chris mentioned. The biggest issue is that aperture control is completely manual and you need to make a system to control it through the housing. Any system based around these adapters is likely to be a little clunky, but for me it has been worth it due to the wonderful image quality and small size. Plus the adapter allows the lens to focus closer than normal (almost touching the dome), so CFWA is possible. The lens maintains outstanding central sharpness at close distances, but edge sharpness drops off some. 

    I like the 13mm so much that I'm motivated to find an even better solution and am currently working on a project to convert it to be a fully functional Sony E mount lens. I don't know yet if it will work out as planned, but if it's a success I may offer it as a conversion service for others. 

    Edited by Isaac Szabo
  5. Thanks Isaac

  6. 9 hours ago, Isaac Szabo said:

    I use the 13mm on Sony mirrorless via a Techart adapter. It moves the lens in and out to focus similar to the Megadap adapter that Chris mentioned. The biggest issue is that aperture control is completely manual and you need to make a system to control it through the housing. Any system based around these adapters is likely to be a little clunky, but for me it has been worth it due to the wonderful image quality and small size. Plus the adapter allows the lens to focus closer than normal (almost touching the dome), so CFWA is possible. The lens maintains outstanding central sharpness at close distances, but edge sharpness drops off some. 

    I like the 13mm so much that I'm motivated to find an even better solution and am currently working on a project to convert it to be a fully functional Sony E mount lens. I don't know yet if it will work out as planned, but if it's a success I may offer it as a conversion service for others. 

    I see on the Techart website they are releasing a new versions in December for the Nikon Z - Leica M adapter.  The last line in the description is interesting and a little concerning though:  " P.S. Camera has to be turned OFF before performing any lenses switch or the adapter may become brick. "

    10 hours ago, Alex_Mustard said:

    The three lenses I am interested in are, 13mm RS (which has been a major lens for me over the last 8 years and it would be sad to retire it). The 20mm, which I use with my Zeiss corrector port - but maybe there is a Sony lens I could use instead. And 28-70mm for WACPs. With three potential uses finding an adaptor is attractive. 

    There are Sony lens solutions for the 28-70 and Sony have a 20mm f1.8G lens you could look to adapt using either the techart or magdep adapters.  The solution Isaac also sounds promising, might be worth monitoring to see what is offered with new version of the Techart adapter.

     

     

     

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  7. Just to follow up on this, my Nikonos 13mm to Sony E mount conversion appears to be a success. Autofocus and aperture work just like a native Sony E mount lens. Focuses right up to the front element. I still need to do some real world testing (I've been testing in a tub at home since it's winter), but hopefully I can start offering this conversion to others within several months. So it looks like the 13mm will live on into the mirrorless age!

  8. Sony offers the LA-EA5 A-mount lens adapter that works with old Sony-A and Minolta lenses that do not have an internal motor. I have used it with the Sony 16mm F/2.8 full frame fisheye lens. All of the functions work and it will AF fairly quickly at up to about 10 FPS. It's a fun lens to use because it has four built-in filters. This is not a lens I would recommend to replace the Canon 8-15mm fisheye because it only focuses to about eight inches. 

    I suspect Nikon could offer a similar adapter for Z-mount at some point.

     

  9. Not sure if I should make a new thread. But today I shot the Monster Nikon F (AFS lenses only, not AF-D) to E mount. I've tested it on land with my Nikon 60mm and Nikon 8-15mm fisheye on an A7RV and underwater with the 60mm on one dive this Sunday afternoon. I am in Lembeh for the Wetpixel/Lembeh workshops.

    The lens focuses fast and accurately, but there seemed to be some shutter lag. But generally very happy with it as an alternate (not main) macro lens option. Mainly interested in the fisheye (so I can use a Nikon fisheye, I own, rather than having to buy a Canon fisheye) - but the diving isn't really suited to that here!

    Alex

    Here are some shots from the dive - low res to aid uploading from the field. Overall, it is nice to be able to make use of the Nikon lenses and the 60mm adds a nice perspective to add to the 90mm shots. 

    LMB23_am-16878.jpg

    LMB23_am-16866.jpg

    LMB23_am-16858.jpg

    LMB23_am-16850.jpg

    LMB23_am-16835.jpg

    LMB23_am-16828.jpg

    LMB23_am-16819.jpg

    LMB23_am-16801.jpg

    LMB23_am-16787.jpg

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.