I see that Nauticam sells an adapter to make Ikelite ports work with Nauticam N120 housings. My question is whether using this adapter is a good idea?
I'm considering moving from an old Ikelite FL system to a Nauticam housing for my Nikon D800E. Obviously I'd save a lot if I could use my existing Ikelite ports with the Nauticam housing. But does that actually work well and is it a good idea in the first place?
I searched the forums for this topic but couldn't find anything relevant. Perhaps someone here has experience with this adapter?
Thanks, Mike
No reason it wouldn't work, though it's an extra o-ring joint to maintain. Depending on what lenses you are housing there may be some benefits from changing ports as well, for example the Nauticam port for CFWA with a fisheye is arguably a better option.
Assuming these are four lock ports I think the adapter does have a mean to use the four small wedges that hold the port in place on your Ikelite housing. If this is the case you want to be sure to use the vacuum system which will hold on the port quite securely, the vacuum system is a good idea regardless of port type of course.