Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anglerfish Monitor

Started by tobyone ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Anglerfish Monitor

8 posts
  1. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this monitor?

  2. I've had one for a little less than a year and am impressed overall. The battery can easily last me 3 dives and I appreciate the bulky HDMI cable since I would otherwise be worried about it as a potential point of failure. However, I do not like the 4 screws used to hold the battery compartment together, especially how one screw is difficult to tighten since there is little space between it and the place where the HDMI cable exits the monitor. I've also wondered if a larger monitor would be even easier to read, but I imagine one of the 7" monitors may be too bulky for my setup.

    Happy to answer any questions you have or provide more details on any aspects in particular

     

     

  3. Thanks for your insight. This seems to be a good option, not much more than an optical viewfinder. I would like to see the size comparison to the Nautical Ninja V housing. 

  4. No matter which monitor you pick in the end, you have to live with its brand specific negatives or/and positives (weak cables, short battery life,  housing size versus sealed monitor,  vacuum system, useful settings, monitor size...)
    I have a D&S, which had its failures on the monitor and cable. I know a guy who had a leaking battery compartment on the Angler.
    Now i have an Atomos Shinobi in Nauticam housing. I cant see the Red exposure Traffic Lights, because the housing buttons cover them or in an other mode they are tiny small displayed, i have to check them through the camera housing instead.

  5. On the Anglerfish site the fact that the monitor is sealed is listed as an advantage. Maybe I am wrong but to me it gives me more confidence that a monitor is vacuum sealed with the camera housing.
    However seeing the photos and features it seems to me the best pure monitor among those on the market

  6. On 12/21/2022 at 11:13 PM, Davide DB said:

    On the Anglerfish site the fact that the monitor is sealed is listed as an advantage. Maybe I am wrong but to me it gives me more confidence that a monitor is vacuum sealed with the camera housing.
    However seeing the photos and features it seems to me the best pure monitor among those on the market

    The main benefit is that it is smaller. In terms of feature however I am not sure it is better than other screens on the market as it relies on common available libriaries as found in Chinese monitors.

    The key issue of HDMI monitors that I find annoying is the lag. With the GH5M2/GH6 (don't remember how it was with the GH5) this can be reduced to the minimum but with the Sony it can't. The monitor itself does not introduce lag and it is normally very responsive. It is the camera pipeline that is late

  7. I never had lag problems on hdmi monitor on my gh5. I'll tell you about gh5m2 on the next dive.

    Anyway underwater pans and tilts are so slow that I don't see the problem.

  8. I never had lag problems on hdmi monitor on my gh5. I'll tell you about gh5m2 on the next dive.
    Anyway underwater pans and tilts are so slow that I don't see the problem.

    There is a lag and doesn’t depend on the monitor is the camera
    I use it on 1080p with audio off it makes a massive difference


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.