Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Similans December 2004

Started by caveman ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Similans December 2004

9 posts
  1. Similans December 2004

    Just got back from Similans. Eventhough I was keen to have my nephew as a first time divers, I was not so happy about the photographic results of the trip.

     

    Used to think the similans was the "bees knees", but now, well, Similans are still the same, but my preferences have changed.

     

    Since there was little Macro, I did for the first time on a trip some wide angle ( 16mm / film ) which was desperately needed ( and more is :D )

     

     

     

    www.carlgoodier.com

     

    Click on "Similans - Dec. 2004"

  2. Looks like a pretty nice trip from the photos!!

     

    Which boat did you dive from?

     

    cheers

    Lndr

  3. Boat "Darunee"(andaman Divers). Its ok, nice crew, but the seats on the deck are really un-comfortable ( wood, and a single steel bar to support your back ). Captain was amazing, u just stick out your arm, and the ladder on the boat is right there in your hand !

     

    Pictures, thanks. Am resonably satisfied I got some wides out with decent exposures, but they are relatively simple ones, and I am looking to get some decent wide angles shots with close ups of animals doing something. Sea Fans dot really swim fast and are not so shy :D

     

    Macro, forget it basically. Was nice trip, and great to see my nephew enjoy it, but I would say Similans is not for me. ( its not bad, just not my cup of tea )

  4. If the Similans truly pale, come to Indonesia! We have a few animals here that can sometimes outswim a seafan.

     

    Frogfish

  5. Been there, and am sure to return when i get time !

  6. The colours are fantastic. Did you try the circular fisheye UW?

    Alex

  7. 201.jpg

     

    202.jpg

     

    203.jpg

     

    204.jpg

     

    205.jpg

     

     

     

    002.jpg

  8. The Hamburger gave me the fisheye to test, never managed to really take it underwater, although I will most definately bug him in the future for it. Main reason is that I am on film, and I know the settings for the 16mm, and was worried about over or under exposures. ( played it safe )

     

    Have previously tested the 16mm on test / fun dives near Bangkok, so this is the first time taking wide serioulsy. although happy with the first results, I can't say that they excite me yet, and I will need some more practice. I have some idea which i will test next time round.

     

    Cheers

  9. Sea Fans dot really swim fast and are not so shy :)

     

    That depends how fast the current is :D

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.