Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 10-24mm DX lens: specifications?

Started by TimG ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 10-24mm DX lens: specifications?

11 posts
  1. Folks

    I'm trying to find out a couple of specifications on the the Nikkor 10-24mm DX lens:

    a. the diameter for the zoom ring;

    b; the distance from the zoom ring to the lens mount..

    If you have the lens, could you possibly send me the measurements? I'm trying to see if I can find a zoom ring to fit with the Subal ND500 housing. It sounds as though ordering one would be a very long process.......

    A huge thanks!

     

  2. Google says:
     "77mm, plastic. Does not rotate. Nikon specifies 3.25" (82.5mm) extension from flange by 87mm diameter. The 10-24mm is shortest at the 15mm setting."

    See Nikon guru Ken Rockwell for more specs:

     https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/10-24mm.htm

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. Thanks Elias

    I'd seen those specs. The problem is, I think, that the 87mm diameter is the widest part of the lens - which is the filter ring at the front - and not the barrel where the zoom ring sits. To make sure i get a zoom ring that fits, I need to check the zoom ring diameter.

    Similarly with the length specified in Ken Rockwell's review. I think he's quoting the length of the lens. To make sure the teeth of the zoom ring engage with the Subal control, I need to check the length of the lens from the zoom ring to the camera mount.

    Neither of these measurements would change when the lens is zoomed. They'll will be constants.

  4. Hi Tim:  If you have the lens, one tool that will give you the required information is a digital caliper: 

    https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Micrometer-Millimeter-Conversion-Measuring/dp/B08ZNQRB39/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3FRTMPBSW4525&keywords=caliper&qid=1671672514&sprefix=caliper%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-8 
    It costs less than $9 and has multiple uses, I use mine at least twice a month.

    Another most useful tool is a digital voltmeter -VOM- to check all sorts of electronic devices,
    starting with batteries, again I use mine several times per month, under $13.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+voltmeter&crid=6T9DB0MZI3B2&sprefix=digital+vo%2Caps%2C150&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_10

    For your Nikkor lens there is the Seamless Focus gear made specifically for it :    https://followfocusgears.com/collections/nikon/products/seamless-follow-focus-gear-for-nikon-nikkor-af-s-10-24mm-f-3-5-4-5-ed-if-dx-lens.

    Or you might phone or email Backscatter or ReefPhoto and ask them, they ought to know the correct gear size for your lens.  

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  5. Thanks Elais!

    I don't have the lens and, so far, havn't found a way of accessing one here in Sint Maarten - hence asking if anyone could send me the dimensions.  (I've got the measuring tool, no problem!)

    I've also exchanged emails with ReefPhoto and Backscatter and neither have the zoom ring and quote very long delivery times. 

    The Seamless looks interesting and I'll contact them. Of course the ring needs to mesh with the Subal control - and not just fit on the lens.

    The point of trying to get the lens diameter at the zoom ring was to see if I already have a Subal ring that might fit; and also to respond to a very helpful offer from @onokai to look into his Subal zoom ring treasure box.

    All a bit tricky when I don't actually have the lens. But I'm reluctant to buy one until I know I can get a zoom ring for it in the next few weeks.

  6. Hi Tim: 
    I do not know if this helps:
    My Nikkor 12-24 zoom ring outer diameter is 73 (maybe 74) mm.  This lens is available for a bit over $120 or so in eBay. 

    The zoom gear is available for a paltry $272   https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/nauticam-zoom-gear-nikon-10-24mm

    Or if you know somebody who prints 3D plastic they may print it for you for much less.


    Best,  
    Elias

     

     

     

  7. Hi Elias

    The Bluewater one is for a Nauticam housing. I don't know if that would fit the Subal system. Quite possibly not.

    I had the Nikkor 12-24 on my old D100, D200 and D300 systems. I really want to go with the 10-24 but if I can't get a zoom ring I'll probably drop the idea and stick with the Tokina 10-17.

  8. 34 minutes ago, TimG said:

    Hi Elias

    The Bluewater one is for a Nauticam housing. I don't know if that would fit the Subal system. Quite possibly not.

    I had the Nikkor 12-24 on my old D100, D200 and D300 systems. I really want to go with the 10-24 but if I can't get a zoom ring I'll probably drop the idea and stick with the Tokina 10-17.

    This post may help, one of the responders says that he could use the 10-24 with the zoom gear from the 12-24 lens.

    https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/nikon-10-24mm-zoom-gear.280887/

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  9. 23 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    This post may help, one of the responders says that he could use the 10-24 with the zoom gear from the 12-24 lens.

    https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/nikon-10-24mm-zoom-gear.280887/

    Thanks, Chris - that's really helpful. I do think with a bit of playing around - a bit of bike inner tube here and there or an o-ring there - I can make it work.

  10. 23 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

    Subal sells the zoom ring for Nikkor 10-24:

    http://www.subal.com/a209c48c29c13/Ports_Gears_Viewfinders/Zoom_ring/Nikkor_optics/Zoom_ring_4ZN333_universal.aspx

    and Amazon has, for a much more reasonable price, adjustable gear rings one can shim to fit the lens and housing:   https://www.amazon.com/Movo-FR3-Adjustable-3-Piece-Follow/dp/B012Y71834

     

    Thanks Elias

    Normally i'd get one from Subal or one of the dealers. But am drawing a blank there with no response from Subal and the usual dealers saying they either can't predict how long, or in one case, at least 10-12 weeks. 

    I'll take a lookup at the Amazon ones. The problem is of course though that they cogs may not mesh with the Subal system of 88 teeth. 

    But on another thread it does look as though maybe I can get a 12-24 ring to work.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.