Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Recommends for Beginner Macro Photographer

Started by Tobywan ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Recommends for Beginner Macro Photographer

10 posts
  1. Hi,

    I'm just starting out with my trusty TG-6 to learn macro photography.  Does anyone have recommendations for places for a beginner macrographer? (Macro-ist? Macrophile?).  Everyone I've spoken with rates Lembeh as tops with Anilao second.  Are there any recommends in the Caribbean?

    Thanks in advance!

    Jim

     

     

  2. Hey Jim

    Lembeh is indeed great. But if you are looking in the  Caribbean both Bonaire and here in Sint Maarten are good for macro - here especially.

    Bonaire is very well known as a destination for US divers because of its shore diving.

    But I reckon Sint Maarten is better though it is boat diving. Great macro with tons of arrowcrabs, spotted cleaner shrimp, Pedersen cleaner shrimps, juvenile drums and trunkfish.... some images attached.

    TG50995.jpg

    TG50997.jpg

    TG51350.jpg

    TG51372.jpg

    TG51489.jpg

    TG51541.jpg

    TG51634.jpg

    TG51640.jpg

  3. Jim,

    Mickey Charteris at Cocoview on Roatan is my suggestion for good macro availability and instruction in the Caribbean.

    In Florida the goto spot is the Blue Heron bridge aka Phil Foster State Park in spite of it being crowded; I'd recommend either Force E or Puravida dive shops for an intro-style first-dive guide.

    Having said that, Lembeh is the best I've seen by far - haven't been to the Philippines yet but hear good things about some spots there.

    Tom

  4. Lembeh was #1 for macro, but I would argue that Anilao is better these days...

    There are places elsewhere  (like US Virgin Islands, or as some on this forum would suggest: St Maarten)with decent macro, however the difference is massive - 1 week in either Lembeh or Anilao and you will have had the opportunity to at least rty to shoot a huge number of macro subjects not available anywhere outside of the Coral Triangle. 

    It is a long way to go (Anilao being slightly closer, once you get to Manila it's a fairly van ride vs more flights/boat rides), but it's worth it. I've taken both my kids to Lembeh and Anilao, they improved their macro shooting massively in each location.

  5. The variety at Lembeh is amazing, though if you are going to travel that far I would recommend getting at least competent with your gear before going.  Traveling all that way and only getting so-so shots might  disappoint.  You also need to be competent and confident  in your buoyancy so you don't stir up the fine black sand and spoil you photos and annoy others if the silt drifts onto their subject.

  6. I agree with oneyellowtang on Lembeh and Anilao. Great places to drive and amazing for macro.

    I think Chris makes a good point though. Depending on your start point they are a long journey and, yeah, I'd agree, good to have reasonable photo skills before you get there. Ideally neither are places to learn the techniques. 

  7. Counterpoint: It’s possible to find workshops run by good photo educators and supported by good spotters that would allow a beginner to progress rapidly in a warm, comfortable and target rich environment.  There are well known courses at Anilao for sure, probably elsewhere as well.  They can cost a bit more of course. But they may suit some peoples learning styles.  

  8. On 12/27/2022 at 2:13 PM, TimG said:

    Hey Jim

    Lembeh is indeed great. But if you are looking in the  Caribbean both Bonaire and here in Sint Maarten are good for macro - here especially.

    Bonaire is very well known as a destination for US divers because of its shore diving.

    But I reckon Sint Maarten is better though it is boat diving. Great macro with tons of arrowcrabs, spotted cleaner shrimp, Pedersen cleaner shrimps, juvenile drums and trunkfish.... some images attached.

    TG50995.jpg

    TG50997.jpg

    TG51350.jpg

    TG51372.jpg

    TG51489.jpg

    TG51541.jpg

    TG51634.jpg

    TG51640.jpg

    Tim - WOW!  Great photos.  I have been to Bonaire but hadn't thought of St Maartin.  Will add that to my list for sure.

     

    Jim

  9. On 12/27/2022 at 8:02 PM, ChrisRoss said:

    The variety at Lembeh is amazing, though if you are going to travel that far I would recommend getting at least competent with your gear before going.  Traveling all that way and only getting so-so shots might  disappoint.  You also need to be competent and confident  in your buoyancy so you don't stir up the fine black sand and spoil you photos and annoy others if the silt drifts onto their subject.

    troporobo - That is a great point. I think I will give Little Cayman one more shot before heading to the Pacific.

    Jim

  10. On 12/28/2022 at 6:13 AM, troporobo said:

    Counterpoint: It’s possible to find workshops run by good photo educators and supported by good spotters that would allow a beginner to progress rapidly in a warm, comfortable and target rich environment.  There are well known courses at Anilao for sure, probably elsewhere as well.  They can cost a bit more of course. But they may suit some peoples learning styles.  

    10 days at Anilao (4 dives per day) with the photo workshop from BW was $2300, I think.   Both it and Lembeh are really cheap, once you get there.  For Americans on the west coast, Anilao may be as easy to get to as any Caribbean location when you factor in the stop in Houston.   I agree that the advantage here is the constant practice.   At most Caribbean sites, you're spend a lot of time looking for the subjects, rather than having your choice of 3 frogfish and 2 sea horses at the same site, or a DM/guide that brings you to a new subject every 5 minutes.  

    Now if the primary interest is to dive, and shoot some, sure, I love the dropoffs at Little Cayman.   Anilao is more like a modeling photoshoot where you don't move much, just shoot one thing after the next. 

    I would imagine the TG-6 housing is pretty negatively buoyant without a lot of added foam.   Getting the rig close to neutral is an important starting point and one that can be done at home first.  

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.