Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

sony 50mm f2.8 macro: AF or not?

Started by sarthur1 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

sony 50mm f2.8 macro: AF or not?

3 posts
  1. Hey all

    my gear set is: Sony a6300 with Fantasea housing, 2*25mm port extension and the FML flat port 34.

    my question is should I use the AF or should I set it to the minimum working distance (6.3" / 16cm)?

    I feel like the AF takes forever to focus and I hate that I don't have any control on the focus ring.

    I take mostly pictures of nudies and when they are not running also blennies and gobies

     

    Sagi

  2. Hi Sagi,

     

    I have different camera model (Oly EM1II and Pana 45mm and Zuiko 60mm macro lenses), but the short answer is universal: if AF does not work, you need to focus manually. In case this is not possible (no Focusgear, or, as in my case, Focusring is not really working for manual focus) you can preset focus to 1:1 (I tried this several times with my system, in my hands most troublesome method)...

    But maybe you can tweak AF to better performance: Disable any face/subject recognition, any automatic mode and assign the smallest spot possible for focusing. Assign a button different from shutter release button to S-AF. Try to S-AF. When this works, one could try C-AF&tracking...

    factors that may help S-AF: #1.: focus light, #2.: maybe there is a switch on the lens to limit the distance to close distance, #3.: try different focus settings on the camera (focus speed and/or sensitivity)...

     

    Eager to hear how it works for you...

    Wolfgang

     

  3. 1 minute ago, Architeuthis said:

    Hi Sagi,

     

    I have different camera model (Oly EM1II and Pana 45mm and Zuiko 60mm macro lenses), but the short answer is universal: if AF does not work, you need to focus manually. In case this is not possible (no Focusgear, or, as in my case, Focusring is not really working for manual focus) you can preset focus to 1:1 (I tried this several times with my system, in my hands most troublesome method)...

    But maybe you can tweak AF to better performance: Disable any face/subject recognition, any automatic mode and assign the smallest spot possible for focusing. Assign a button different from shutter release button to S-AF. Try to S-AF. When this works, one could try C-AF&tracking...

    factors that may help S-AF: #1.: focus light, #2.: maybe there is a switch on the lens to limit the distance to close distance, #3.: try different focus settings on the camera (focus speed and/or sensitivity)...

     

    Eager to hear how it works for you...

    Wolfgang

     

    thank you!

    I'll try it this weekend and let you know if it worked out! :)

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.