Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Is Seychelles recommended for scuba + UW photography ?

Started by ido ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Is Seychelles recommended for scuba + UW photography ?

8 posts
  1. Hi all

     Seychelles doesn't seem to be a popular destination for UW photographers. Is that right?

    Can anyone share their experience?

    Thanks 

  2. Much of the coral died off ~10 or so years ago...

    There is some great underwater landscapes around the inner islands, but not much coral coverage (some has grown back). During the right season whale sharks are also fairly common. 

    From a marine life diversity perspective there is relatvely less than what you find in the Maldives, however Aldabra (quite a distance from the inner islands, hard to get to except by live aboard) is truly world class, completely wild, with more turtles and sharks than you'll find almost anywhere else in the Indian Ocean.

  3. Thanks for the elaborate answer. 
    Ido

  4. Echoing what oneyellowtang said. I dove around Praslin and La Digue and it was not very interesting. A lot of rocks. but maybe I don't have a good eye for underwater rock photography yet.

    Most of the stories I've read about Seychelles diving is in Aldabra atoll which you'd have to take a liveaboard to get there. I was able to find this: Blue Safari Seychelles which seems to be where Aldabra atoll is, but I've never been. 

  5. I have just spent 2 weeks end September there, 1 week Praslin and 1 week Mahe. Correct there is not much coral but quite a lot of varied fish life , white tip and grey reef sharks, some of the dives further out tend to be better

    It was very windy on Praslin when I was there so pretty stirred up which made anything wide angle quite tricky so if you were to go I would try a less windy time of year there but Mahe diving was on the other side from the winds so much better.

    Definitely better diving destinations out there but I did it as a family holiday with 2 dives a day so it suits that type of holiday perfectly and plenty to see topside too

    BCE528A1-5432-4371-8872-02542EFF9A10.jpeg

    F500AA3E-0C8B-4A01-AA09-B47245D7BE49.jpeg

    DD357D06-F5D2-4C67-9201-7D5B86A626FC.jpeg

    B23D5406-FEDB-4530-ACB2-9809B5E4E1C1.jpeg

    BBC050F3-021C-4693-BD7D-100008A0CD37.jpeg

    4E453DA7-060F-4C88-99CB-190A3546C9D0.jpeg

    27B2F499-B2DC-4B28-BAB7-DF1C37FD36CF.jpeg

    3CED62D3-039C-4019-B921-04618371B6D9.jpeg

    D136BFAD-F52B-47AE-92D2-BA79065B9492.jpeg

    5C339D44-7527-4A90-A7E8-C4C7A20AA275.jpeg

    D3525AA0-8D00-45E6-9927-80E60B8226B1.jpeg

    A45997FB-BD03-4E7F-BAE8-D4B32000B241.jpeg

    3F3F4592-A0E1-4210-9347-82072CCC72DB.jpeg

    8F71029F-8DA6-402F-A2BD-0E089E75A8BD.jpeg

    49F225B8-A63A-40F9-AA30-75578746CF06.jpeg

    8EF50157-30DD-4A4F-8D0B-ECCD0957646A.jpeg

    3D74B546-1414-4485-A5D1-E7CC5A8E0C53.jpeg

    FA7667CB-134D-44D1-B9A2-3F590AB55FFA.jpeg

    00931CA0-DACB-4FE3-A2ED-052C97135B21.jpeg

  6. Great pics. Thanks 

  7.  

     

    I was there in 2022 but not in peak dry season which is April/May. End June was also very good but the viz and weather were not the best.

    I dived entirely from Beau Valon. 

    There are basically two kind of dives, long distance(fantastic dives with schools of snappers, eagle rays, sharks, rays,  batfish and other big stuff) short distance(reefs, wrecks etc) We were not lucky with weather so only managed a couple of long dives. But if in dry season, I highly recommend those above others. 

    We used the services of https://www.diveseychelles.com.sc and had taken a group of 12 divers. Please do note that one will have to request the dive centre to carry your equipment to the boat(which I did as had a large camera) otherwise they expect one to don the equipment and wade through the water to the boat and vice versa after the dive. All dives are from the beach to boat.

    Stay: Plethora of high end resorts and hotels as well as cheaper apartment options with kitchenette (we opted for this). Hardly much night life except on one street and the weekends there are noisy as hell. 

    I have attached a video herewith for those curious to know what kind of diving there is and the marine life. 

     

  8. Great info and tips. Thank you very much

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.