Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Do you use VR or IS underwater?

Started by Draq ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Do you use VR or IS underwater?

15 posts
  1. Curious about this.  I have read differing opinions on the value or potential downsides to using VR underwater.  Opinions range from "it can compromise image quality, like on a tripod" to "why not?" to  "absolutely."  Others have said only on stationary or slow moving objects, or with only certain lenses.

    Curious as to what you folks think about this.   As for me, so far I have always left it on.  So far.

  2. I keep mine on at all times - both lens and IBIS.  I can shoot well slower than I should be able to and end up with sharp images.  This is a 1/16th which isn't that slow for 14mm but still pretty amazingly slow.  

    Scenery_antarctica.thumb.jpg.477158ce2045a2930ddaf4a9b499c87c.jpg

     

    And this one is 1/12th of a sec at 20mm.  You can see how slow it is by the bubble stream but the ice is sharp - even though the diver shows a little movement. Not the best composition, but shows how nice IS can be.

    Diver_antarctica.thumb.jpg.dee70c39a96ea74009fc50bd32c996fd.jpg

    I think that turning off IS would remove photographic opportunities, especially in low light so I keep it on.  I've never seen a degradation by leaving it on (that I have noticed).

     

  3. Always on for me, I can't see any downside.  I've heard various arguments but I've neevr had an issue land or water I could put down to the IS.

  4. I think the myth that you should turn off IS on a tripod is something that goes back to the early times of IS. These days, the systems are much more sophisticated. Underwater, there is always movement, so it's hardly like a tripod anyway.

  5. As the others, I always let IS on (I do not know what is VR?). IS is very helpful in low light (e.g. grottos), here an example at 0,5s; f 6.3; ISO1600 (Oly EM1II with Canon 8-15mm fisheye @8mm; NA 140 domeport; handheld):

    1114411668__ADO2149-Editcopy.thumb.jpg.5aafe14ef522a78e7b0b1900a5c33cb1.jpg

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  6. 1 hour ago, Architeuthis said:

    (I do not know what is VR?)

    It's the Nikon version of IS: "Vibration Reduction".

  7. 1 hour ago, Architeuthis said:

    As the others, I always let IS on (I do not know what is VR?).

     

     

    Wolfgang

    VR is vibration reduction in Nikon terms.  Basically the same function as IS in Canon terms

  8. Not an overwhelming number of responses but it appears unanimous.

  9. I must admit I never use VR underwater. I couldn’t tell you why. Maybe I just figure in tropical waters, with strobes camera shake is not an issue.  

  10. 2 hours ago, TimG said:

    I must admit I never use VR underwater. I couldn’t tell you why. Maybe I just figure in tropical waters, with strobes camera shake is not an issue.  

    Ah, at last....a radical!

  11. 39 minutes ago, Draq said:

    Ah, at last....a radical!

    A free radical?

    Yeah, never saw the need. Although topside I use VR all the time.

  12. It just never really occurred to me to turn it off.  

    After posting this topic, my curiosity drove me to a little internet "research."  There were a couple threads on the topic here on Wetpixel many years ago, but there does not seem to be a hard consensus on IS or VR underwater.  

    I found this long article interesting:  https://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/lens-articles/lens-technique/all-about-nikon-vr.html

    VR does reduce battery life, so there is that.

    This is from Nikon: 

    Using VR Lenses on Tripod The Vibration Reduction technology built in to some Nikon lenses can reduce or eliminate vibration or movement in the camera during shooting. When the camera is on a tripod there will be very little (if any) movement so the question arises if VR should be used or not. In general, VR should be "Off" for all VR lenses when the camera is mounted on a tripod.  Except the following lens; VR can be "On" when the camera is mounted on a tripod:  AF-S VR 200-400mm f4         When mounted on a monopod, VR should be "On" for all lenses.

    Nikon has a webpage on the general VR subject:    https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/products-and-innovation/vibration-reduction.html

    I find myself wondering about the the impact of the underwater environment on the idea that the lens can detect and account for movement such as being in a moving vehicle.  

    My favorite lens is the 8-15 which does not have VR so that one is easy.  If I can remember to do so, I am thinking I might turn off VR on the 18-55 with the WACP and using flash and shutter speeds of 1/50 and above, but leave it on when shooting macro with a 60 or 85mm.

    Not sure, though.

     

  13. Underwater is certainly closer to a Monopod than a tripod so I believe it’s clear that on is better than off. 

  14. 1 hour ago, hyp said:

    Underwater is certainly closer to a Monopod than a tripod so I believe it’s clear that on is better than off. 

    Or maybe underwater is like a non-o-pod?  ;-)

     

  15. I don't. Shipwrecks don't move much, and I don't either. Water makes a tremendous damper I think.

    I don't use it on my macro lenses either... Stuff just doesn't move erratically, and I don't either.

    Edited by Stoo

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.