I recently converted to the WACP-1 for my WA shots (shooting a Nikon D850 in a Nauticam housing). As most know, the WACP-1 is HEAVY. Therefore my Nauticam 250mm dome port must stay at home for international travel and consequently, my opportunity to shoot splits is gone. I'm considering buying an acrylic dome to fill the void. Since the dome will be niche specific it should be relatively inexpensive and of course be lightweight.
Recommendations???
Sounds like a job for a surf housing dome, as they're specifically designed to be lightweight, for example this 242mm dome has its weight quoted at just 510 grams: https://www.liquideye.net/product/l-ld-4522/
You'd need to have a custom adapter machined for it though; I don't believe one exists as an off-she-shelf product.
2 hours ago, Barmaglot said:
Sounds like a job for a surf housing dome, as they're specifically designed to be lightweight, for example this 242mm dome has its weight quoted at just 510 grams: https://www.liquideye.net/product/l-ld-4522/
You'd need to have a custom adapter machined for it though; I don't believe one exists as an off-she-shelf product.
It would be a split only dome as well - do diving combined with surface work for splits - from their FAQ page:
That's rather obvious; if the OP hadn't specified split shots as the sole application I wouldn't have suggested it.
As a possible alternative to machining an adapter, you might be able to take a Nauticam N120 to N100 port adapter (they have several in different lengths) and a Liquideye extension ring and join them together; that way you'll have a Nauticam bayonet on the housing side, and Liquideye threading on the port side. Liquideye specifies an inner diameter of 100mm for their L-series ports, hence the N120 to N100 adapter. Since Nauticam ports are made out of aluminium, and Liquideye ones are made from polyurethane, joining would probably best be made with some kind of glue or epoxy.
1 hour ago, Barmaglot said:
That's rather obvious; if the OP hadn't specified split shots as the sole application I wouldn't have suggested it.
Perhaps, but not everyone reads the fine print. Always better to state any limitations clearly IMO.
12 hours ago, eyeguy said:
I recently converted to the WACP-1 for my WA shots (shooting a Nikon D850 in a Nauticam housing). As most know, the WACP-1 is HEAVY. Therefore my Nauticam 250mm dome port must stay at home for international travel and consequently, my opportunity to shoot splits is gone. I'm considering buying an acrylic dome to fill the void. Since the dome will be niche specific it should be relatively inexpensive and of course be lightweight.
Recommendations???
I suggest you checkout the Manny Smith, mannysmithphoto.com line of ports specifically designed for splits. I have paired the 12 inch dome with my WACP-C for travel. It is light for its size, comes with Nauticam mount among many other mounts, is rated to two meters so also great for images near the surface in addition to splits and is cost effective for its size.
You can read my review of the 12 inch Matty Smith dome port in the current issue of UWPMAG.com a free PDF download.
Photo by @Courtland W. Richards.
Thanks for the replies and wow that's super light-weight dome at just over 1 lb! Finding someone to 3D print an adaptor might be a challenge. They list a Nikon 16mm fisheye as compatible and I shoot a AF-S FISHEYE NIKKOR 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED. I would presume that lens at the 15mm zoom would be "close enough".
38 minutes ago, Phil Rudin said:
I suggest you checkout the Manny Smith, mannysmithphoto.com line of ports specifically designed for splits. I have paired the 12 inch dome with my WACP-C for travel. It is light for its size, comes with Nauticam mount among many other mounts, is rated to two meters so also great for images near the surface in addition to splits and is cost effective for its size.
You can read my review of the 12 inch Matty Smith dome port in the current issue of UWPMAG.com a free PDF download.
Photo by @Courtland W. Richards.
Just read it! Excellent review. Thanks!
22 minutes ago, eyeguy said:
Thanks for the replies and wow that's super light-weight dome at just over 1 lb! Finding someone to 3D print an adaptor might be a challenge. They list a Nikon 16mm fisheye as compatible and I shoot a AF-S FISHEYE NIKKOR 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED. I would presume that lens at the 15mm zoom would be "close enough".
I have been using the Sony 12-24mm F/2.8 with the Recommended amount of extension for the Marelux housing. Matty /Smith recommends the amount of extension you already use with the lens and a 230mm port. I the case of a Nauticam housing with Nikon 8-15mm fisheye zoom that would be N120 20 1or 2. The same applies to whatever housing and extension you are now using for the 8-15mm lens.
Or someone is advertising a Nauticam 8.5" acrylic dome in classifieds might be a good option?
On 1/14/2023 at 5:50 AM, Barmaglot said:
That's rather obvious; if the OP hadn't specified split shots as the sole application I wouldn't have suggested it.
As a possible alternative to machining an adapter, you might be able to take a Nauticam N120 to N100 port adapter (they have several in different lengths) and a Liquideye extension ring and join them together; that way you'll have a Nauticam bayonet on the housing side, and Liquideye threading on the port side. Liquideye specifies an inner diameter of 100mm for their L-series ports, hence the N120 to N100 adapter. Since Nauticam ports are made out of aluminium, and Liquideye ones are made from polyurethane, joining would probably best be made with some kind of glue or epoxy.
Are you sure we can mix Liquideye and Nauticam systems? I own a Liquideye and never though of that.
3 minutes ago, stillviking said:
Are you sure we can mix Liquideye and Nauticam systems? I own a Liquideye and never though of that.
Fitting a certain port to another housing via an adapter is a fairly common thing, there are dozens of different adapters on the market that serve various combinations. A Liquideye port on a Nauticam housing is no different from any other combination, other than its far-out edge-case nature, which necessitates a custom adapter. I'm not sure I would trust a 3D-printed part to keep the water out of the housing, even on the surface, but I don't see any reason why a custom adapter couldn't be made from scratch on a CNC machine, or cobbled together from two extension rings.
Just now, Barmaglot said:
Fitting a certain port to another housing via an adapter is a fairly common thing, there are dozens of different adapters on the market that serve various combinations. A Liquideye port on a Nauticam housing is no different from any other combination, other than its far-out edge-case nature, which necessitates a custom adapter. I'm not sure I would trust a 3D-printed part to keep the water out of the housing, even on the surface, but I don't see any reason why a custom adapter couldn't be made from scratch on a CNC machine, or cobbled together from two extension rings.
Ok, got it. It is not available on market in this moment :\.