I started shooting with a Nikon DSLR several years ago with the Ikelite TTL Converter and a pair of Ikelite DS161 strobes using TTL. As a beginner, the Ikelite TTL was incredible and produced almost perfect exposure every shot. However, sometimes it was required to adjust the power manually of one or both strobes, especially when shooting verticals. I got spoiled and fell in love with TTL from the beginning.
Today, I shoot with a Nikon Z mirrorless camera with the Nauticam TTL Converter for Nikon and a pair of Inon Z-330 strobes. The Nauticam TTL is even better and I get a perfectly exposed shot every time. Additionally, I can adjust power of the S-TTL on the Inon strobes with the +EV or -EV control. Now, I can continue use my beloved TTL and adjust the strobe power! TTL also makes it easier to turn around and take that split second shot of a shark or turtle without having to adjust the strobe power.
Several years later, after reading many books and attending underwater workshops, the pros ALWAYS recommend using manual strobe power settings but I have never understood why? (except in the rare cases of side or back strobe lighting). So, I thought I would ask if there is any reason I should stop using TTL and finally learn to shoot with manual power?
Thank you in advance! Larry