On 1/18/2023 at 8:57 AM, hoekma said:
Out of curiosity, what ISO do you guys normally shoot at underwater? Most of the reading I've done seems to say keep it at 100, maybe go to 200 if you have to.
IF I am shooting macro with strobes, then I use the base ISO on my camera (ISO 64: Z9, D850, D810) for maximum dynamic range.
I also tend to work with the idea of 'ISO invariance', even if I see that my strobes are underpowered for the subject. (This is a matter of range to subject when shooting macro, but it comes up much more often when I'm shooting wide angle.)
With ISO invariance, the idea is that it is the same to push files in post (say to boost by 2 stops) as to raise ISO (by 2 stops) when shooting. It also tends to help to not blow out highlights, which is a strong consideration on some highly reflective or radiant subjects.
At base ISO on the Z9 or D850, I have massive capability to boost shadows and the highlights are pretty protected as well. By ISO 400 most of that 'throw-away dynamic range' is used up, meaning I no longer can boost shadows much and highlights may be right on the edge. This is just a consequence of boosting image values by raising ISO on camera - same as if I'd already boosted shadows 2 stops to get to ISO 400.
There is a wrinkle in that when going from ISO 400 to 500 as that is where the 'dual gain' nature of ISO performance happens on the Z9/D850 cameras. That is, at least in-camera ISO 500 has more dynamic range than in-camera ISO 400. Not sure how this affects ISO Invariance and post-processing, but when shooting I keep in mind that with ISO's over 400 I better have the basic exposure correct as I can't simply boost shadows for underexposure at that point. But this is when I'm mostly shooting ambient or mixed strobe/ambient and I want to see the results clearly in my viewfinder anyway. (For macro I have a focus light.)