Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which Sony full frame Camera for underwater photography in 2023

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Which Sony full frame Camera for underwater photography in 2023

9 posts
  1. You should title it Which Sony for early 2023! They will likely introduce a whole load more before summer :lol2:

    I think I counted that Sony have introduced over 20 full frame cameras since Nikon launched the D850. Just wish they made the same effort with new lenses.

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. You should title it Which Sony for early 2023! They will likely introduce a whole load more before summer default_lol.gif

    I think I counted that Sony have introduced over 20 full frame cameras since Nikon launched the D850. Just wish they made the same effort with new lenses.

    Sony follows a very strict 3 years cycle for their refresh.

    2023 may see an A7C II with 33 megapixels. The key issue with the A7C is that both displays are really weak

    The A7S series refreshes in longer cycles. I do not think Sony have any sensor innovation to bring in. Recently they have released the fx series for video

    The A9 is due a refresh however it is uncertain that Sony would produce a fast reading 33 megapixels camera may still cost quite a lot

    The key issue with Sony are the ergonomics the last models with the new menu are so much better

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. Interesting writeup on the strenghts of different recent models for different applications...

    I fear that the weakness of the Sony lens repertoire (an exception is the 28-60mm lens) in providing gems for UW-photography may be aggravated in the future (instead of improving): so far the rich choice from Canon EF lenses (e.g. Canon 8-15mm), usable via adapter, compensates in part, but it will not be possible in the future to use Canon RF lenses (such as the patented 8-28mm zoom fisheye, that MAY become available some day) as the Sony mount is, in principle, not compatible for RF lens adapters.

    Who knows, maybe in the mid term Nikon will have the advantage as a system for UW, after they succeed to deliver a competitive camera, similar to Z9,  Sony A1 or A7RV, with a small form factor: They will develop a valuable repertoire of Z-mount lenses by themselves. In addition, Sony lenses (e.g. 28-60mm) are already now usable on Z-mount with Techart adapter. There is also 4mm space to built an adapter that would allow Canon RF lenses to be used on Nikon Z cameras (therefore such an adapter may well become available in the future)...

     

    Wolfgang

     

  4. 1 hour ago, Architeuthis said:

    Interesting writeup on the strenghts of different recent models for different applications...

    I fear that the weakness of the Sony lens repertoire (an exception is the 28-60mm lens) in providing gems for UW-photography may be aggravated in the future (instead of improving): so far the rich choice from Canon EF lenses (e.g. Canon 8-15mm), usable via adapter, compensates in part, but it will not be possible in the future to use Canon RF lenses (such as the patented 8-28mm zoom fisheye, that MAY become available some day) as the Sony mount is, in principle, not compatible for RF lens adapters.

    Who knows, maybe in the mid term Nikon will have the advantage as a system for UW, after they succeed to deliver a competitive camera, similar to Z9,  Sony A1 or A7RV, with a small form factor: They will develop a valuable repertoire of Z-mount lenses by themselves. In addition, Sony lenses (e.g. 28-60mm) are already now usable on Z-mount with Techart adapter. There is also 4mm space to built an adapter that would allow Canon RF lenses to be used on Nikon Z cameras (therefore such an adapter may well become available in the future)...

     

    Wolfgang

     

    Currently no mirrorless mount has a native fisheye so right now they are all adapted

    In order to get an improvement on the Canon 8-15mm and Nikon 8-15mm you need a better lens. Autofocus improvement for me is not a reason to change. Fisheye eye shots are typically single AF features like tracking are not important. Accuracy is important and this is not an issue with adapted lenses.

    If I was a canon user with an 8-15mm I would need something more interesting like the 8-28mm proposition to change than a simple conversion of the lens

    For me Sony is the most convenient system at present with the largest lens choice in the full frame mirrorless space and MFT is the best cropped format on the same account. I do not see this gap closing any time soon

  5. Quite a nice blogpost about that topic. For me the camera is such a difficult decision when it comes to UW-photo. At least 3 grants for the case is a huge entry fee and for the most times you can't just switch bodies because the case won't fit the new one.
    I think I may save some money for the A7R5 to invest into something that can be used for many years to come. With my A7IV I have the feeling that I might need to make to many compromises in the future. 

  6. Quite a nice blogpost about that topic. For me the camera is such a difficult decision when it comes to UW-photo. At least 3 grants for the case is a huge entry fee and for the most times you can't just switch bodies because the case won't fit the new one.
    I think I may save some money for the A7R5 to invest into something that can be used for many years to come. With my A7IV I have the feeling that I might need to make to many compromises in the future. 

    Sony unfortunately doesn’t really provide massive software updates so the camera is as you see it
    Functionally there are very limited improvements between the R5 and the IV
    Unless 61 megapixels is a deal breaker vs 33 and you are totally photo centric the A7 IV is a good buy for years to come
    Sony housing are the least expensive full frame and they have the most lens support


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. I have seen pattens from Canon for RF 8-15mm F/4 and 8mm F/4 circular fisheyes for full frame and an 8-15mm F/4 for APS-C. So far Canon's only RF fisheye is the 5.2mm dual fisheye for 3D. While I understand the idea of Canon wanting to introduce something that might excite like Nikon did with the $8000.00 Z 58mm F0.95 these are lenses that very few will ever use. When you are only offering 6 or 8 new lenses (at best) to the market every year to seems you would want to cover more common focal ranges.

    Sony has also filed pattens for four Fisheye zooms, 7.5mm to 13mm F/2.8, 8-14mm f/2.8 and F/4 and an 11-16mm F/4 which I assume would cover the entire zoom range on full frame rather than just the far ends. It appears however that Sony is more interested in filling out the long lens line currently than go wider end spicily since they have a stellar 12-24mm F/2.8 and 14mm F/1.8 along with 16-35mm's in F/2.8 and F/4.    

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  8. I've shot with the Sony a7 for a while. It is superb. I also shot some video. I finally went for broke and bought the Sony FDR-AX100 Video camera and the Gates AX100 housing with the wide angle Zoom port.

    4K on the video camera shines. The built in on/off Blue Water filter is a wonder. Video technology is superb with good lighting, the at depth is awesome. Dual duty is a compromise in my opinion. It entails some expense. However, if you are discerning in your work, it is worth it. 

    If you can, try a rental on the video if you can. 

    (11) Turks & Caicos Critters & Things - YouTube

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.