Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish and coral in need of identification

Started by Kraken de Mabini ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish and coral in need of identification

7 posts
  1. Both the fish and the coral bush, from Lembeh, are in need of i.d. 

     

     

    Q anemone X id w Q fish - Copy.jpg

  2. fish looks like Blennies, but it's hard to recognize which one from the picture 

  3. I'm going to stick my neck on the line and suggest that is a scooter blenny:

    Synchiropus_Stellatus.jpg

    They don't always have the sail up.. 

    It is tough to see for sure in your picture.

  4. Hi Elias, if you mean the fish in the centre, it has the typical headshape of a Triplefin - I don't think it likely that you will get down to species level as a lot look vey similar and a closer view is needed. It is not on coral but a group of colonial tunicates, Clavelina sp. probably

  5. Thank you all for the i.d. information.  The Clavelina diagnosis seems to be right on, the fish photo is not that useful for identification, Triplefin is a good estimate. Next time I visit Lembeh I hope to encounter and photo these critters again!  

  6. This is a floral fangblenny (Petroscirtes mitratus). I expect this tunicate colony was on a mooring line, which is where you often find the floral fangblenny as well as its brethren the variable (P. variabilis) and shorthead (P. breviceps) fangblenny. Here is a floral fangblenny from Dauin (Philippines). 

    adult-1.x480.jpg

  7. Hi, Glasseye Snapper:  Looks like you got it right, thank you!  I hope to dive in Lembeh Strait next month and will look for more tang blennies, photo them if I am lucky.

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.