Just wondering if any uses the Canon RF 24-70mm 2.8 and if they're happy with it. Seems like a decent (and expensive!) lens and it is supported by Nauticam and Marelux. I'm setting up a rig with a Canon R6 Mark-2.
Jim
Read-only discussion
Just wondering if any uses the Canon RF 24-70mm 2.8 and if they're happy with it. Seems like a decent (and expensive!) lens and it is supported by Nauticam and Marelux. I'm setting up a rig with a Canon R6 Mark-2.
Jim
32 minutes ago, JimmyP said:Just wondering if any uses the Canon RF 24-70mm 2.8 and if they're happy with it. Seems like a decent (and expensive!) lens and it is supported by Nauticam and Marelux. I'm setting up a rig with a Canon R6 Mark-2.
Jim
Oftentimes you will be better served by a slower lens such as the 24-105 as apertures in the f2.8- 4 range aren't usable in dome ports due to dome port optics making the corners incredibly soft wide open. Having said that 24mm is wide but not that wide in UW terms and you need to back off further from the subject putting more water between you and the subject. The 24-70 does have a small advantage with closer focus distances than the 24-105. In that range an adapted EF 24-70mm f4 might be a better option as it focuses very close.
Thanks Chris, good points. So many choices! I am planning to go with a Marelux housing and they don't support the 24-105mm lens. I like the idea of sticking with RF lenses for this camera; however you do make a good case for the EF 24-70mm f4. Looks like I need to do a bit more research...
It's relatively easy to work out what to do for the 24-105 RF, if you look at Nauticam's port chart the 24-105 uses 40mm extension and the 24-70 uses 60mm extension, so the 24-105 uses 20mm less extension so as the 24-70 uses 70mm extension you would use a 50mm extension for the 24-105 lens. That leaves you looking for a zoom gear of course and if they don't produce one you might need to get one 3D printed. Of course an adapted EF 24-70 is already supported.
Hi JimmyP,
While not what you asked, I use an R5 with the Marelux housing. My go to lens is the 14-35 RF. If you poke around in the corners at 14mm its a little soft even when stopped down, but a little zoomed in it is a pleasure to use. Actually, it is always a pleasure to use, it is small, focuses very fast, and provides a very useful range and I use it both in the 180 and 230 dome. So, if putting together an R6 ii setup - I would go there rather than the 24-70. Plus for video, if you use digital IS it crops out the extreme corners anyway. Good luck deciding on your lens setup.
Hi ColdDarkDiver,
Thanks for your insight. I kinda like the option of having a lens that covers this range as I mostly do fish portraits. I think my next lens will likely be the 14-35mm for more wide angle shooting.
Stay warm!
Jim
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.