Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite vs Nauticam vs Hugyfot vs Aquatica for Canon 7D

Started by TkdCol ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite vs Nauticam vs Hugyfot vs Aquatica for Canon 7D

2 posts
  1. Hi, the question is more Ikelite vs something more expensive for a Canon 7d.

    I've practiced photography for many years, but this is my first foray into UW (besides action cams). I'm primarily looking at the used market and want to know what benefits I'd really get from spending a bit more on an aluminium housing vs the cheaper Ikelite polycarbonate option. 

    Price is definitely an important factor, but if there are significant issues with using a plastic housing (i.e. fogging, less reliable) I would be willing to spend more.

    As a second part of the question, what are people's opinions regarding the different Al housings? I've seen several reviews of the Aquatica and the Nauticam, which seems to put the Nauticam on top. I am also located in Colombia (South America), meaning buying from the US is relatively easy, but from Europe expensive (where Hugyfot seems to be more available)

     

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. The main difference between Ikelite and the Al housings apart from materials is ergonomics and wider range of lens ports. For your camera the Ikelite lens port for wide angle is limited to an 8" port either full size or the travel dome, no small ports for fisheyes. 

    For the 7D housings are mostly discontinued now, though it appears you can still buy the ikelite new.  You should be able to pick up an aluminium  7D housing for a bargain with patience, have a look in the classifieds.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.