Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Macro Camera + Lens Poll

Started by JayceeB ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Camera + Lens Poll

12 posts
  1. Macro Camera + Lens Poll

    Edited by adamhanlon
  2. I really like the Nikon Z 105mm + SMC-1 combo. The AF on the Z 105mm isn’t the fastest but it takes some stunningly sharp pics with beautiful bokeh.

  3. 11 hours ago, LarryHallas said:

    I really like the Nikon Z 105mm + SMC-1 combo. The AF on the Z 105mm isn’t the fastest but it takes some stunningly sharp pics with beautiful bokeh.

    Thanks for adding your kit.  It's nice to hear of another effective setup. 

     

    I would add it to the poll list, but i'm unsure if i edit the list if the current poll counts will disappear.

  4. Should have included D500 and 85mm and/or 60mm.  IMHO.

  5. Interesting on the 85mm, Draq. I think the 60mm is excellent for the bigger critters and certainly for "fish portraits".

    Views on the 85mm?

  6. 50 minutes ago, Draq said:

    Should have included D500 and 85mm and/or 60mm.  IMHO.

    Thanks for the additional configuration.  I guess my focus was on nudibranch sized macro shooting, but I see now that may have been short-sighted.

  7. I was happily shooting a D850 with 105vr for the last few years (and D810 before that), but now I'm shooting a Z9 with 105z - not listed in your poll.

  8. 21 hours ago, TimG said:

    Interesting on the 85mm, Draq. I think the 60mm is excellent for the bigger critters and certainly for "fish portraits".

    Views on the 85mm?

    The 85 allows much greater working distance, so in clear water, that can be nice for stuff that doesn't want a lens too close.  It focuses fast and does not hunt much.  It works great in a  60mm port with a 20mm ER, so I did not need to buy a new port.  The lens is also light and pretty small.  It works well with a wet macro lens added on.  I have flip attachment for that purpose.  Since getting the 85, the 105 doesn't get much use.  The 60 is still great, of course, especially where getting closer is preferred. 

    Reef Photo has an article on its site about the 85 lens, and having used it, I agree with their assessment.https://reefphoto.com/blogs/photography/the-best-crop-sensor-nikon-macro-lens-for-underwater-that-nobody-is-using

  9. 1 hour ago, Draq said:

    Reef Photo has an article on its site about the 85 lens, and having used it, I agree with their assessment

    Yeah, this does look good. I almost wish I hadn't read it now!

  10. 7 hours ago, Draq said:

    The 85 allows much greater working distance, so in clear water, that can be nice for stuff that doesn't want a lens too close.  It focuses fast and does not hunt much.  It works great in a  60mm port with a 20mm ER, so I did not need to buy a new port.  The lens is also light and pretty small.  It works well with a wet macro lens added on.  I have flip attachment for that purpose.  Since getting the 85, the 105 doesn't get much use.  The 60 is still great, of course, especially where getting closer is preferred. 

    Reef Photo has an article on its site about the 85 lens, and having used it, I agree with their assessment.https://reefphoto.com/blogs/photography/the-best-crop-sensor-nikon-macro-lens-for-underwater-that-nobody-is-using

    Excellent it confirms my theoretical model see post on blackwater diving

    The 85mm has limited focus breathing so it should work well and so should the 40mm if you like that focal length

    It is a newer lens so should work better than the 60mm which is now discontinued

    It looks like IT IS possible to foresee lenses behaviour underwater just looking at the design if you know what you are looking for.

     

  11. Options added

    Admin

     

  12. I'd prefer OM-1 and Panasonic 45mm (not on the list)

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.