Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Finding the right tray & arms

Started by Chrisew ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Finding the right tray & arms

13 posts
  1. Hey there,
    I have been using an Olympus TG6 / PT-059 for a year now. I do UW-photography as a hobby in the amateur area and I lack the leisure to get really deep into the subject.
     
    Now I feel ready to tackle the big topic of lighting. After I have now long occupied myself with the question of whether video lamp, strobe or hybrid solution, my choice has finally fallen on the INON D200 II. I photograph mainly in the macro area or sometimes a larger fish, if it just swims by.
     
    A headache for me is the matching tray and arms. I live in Germany and found this complete set in an Austrian store: https://www.unterwasserkamera.at/.../de/product_info.php...
     
    Would you recommend this to me? Or do you have any other suggestions that are purchasable from Germany?
     
    Many greetings
    Chris
  2. I use their arms and they are good. No idea how good the clamps are. I bought ones from Aquatica and I am reasonably happy with them. On here people swear by Ultra light control system (ULCS) arms (there will probably be a few posts that recommend them). I haven't used them, but I have used really cheap clamps before and those were no fun, so the recommendation to not skimp on arms/clamps because you will keep using them even when you upgrade your camera, is a sound one.

  3. Chris, hyp says it all. Buy once, buy well. Buy ULCS. 

  4. I slept on it for a night and think I'll invest a little more in a ULCS system.

    I still have a few questions about this:

    - is it enough to take a single handle tray to start with? If I see correctly, the trays can be expanded later with a second handle (I will start with one strobe first).

    - I have put together a design with two arms but am unsure how long they should be (as I said, I shoot more in the macro range). Are 5"/15cm and 8"/23cm enough?

    - It would be ideal if the construction including camera and housing is neutrally balanced. Unfortunately, I can't find any weight specifications for the components and it's hard for me to choose a suitable buoyancy arm

     

  5. I slept on it for a night and think I'll invest a little more in a ULCS system.
    I still have a few questions about this:
    - is it enough to take a single handle tray to start with? If I see correctly, the trays can be expanded later with a second handle (I will start with one strobe first).
    - I have put together a design with two arms but am unsure how long they should be (as I said, I shoot more in the macro range). Are 5"/15cm and 8"/23cm enough?
    - It would be ideal if the construction including camera and housing is neutrally balanced. Unfortunately, I can't find any weight specifications for the components and it's hard for me to choose a suitable buoyancy arm
     

    - Yes, a single handle tray is more than okay to start with. Even if I have two strobes and arms, focus lights etc. at the start of the dive I streamline to take only the equipment I need. I don’t take everything with me. For Macro I usually only take one strobe. More isn’t necessarily better. Single strobe is also fun because you think more about where to put lighting.

    - arm lengths again depend on the subject. For macro the short arms like 5” or 8” are enough.

    - It is actually hard to determine how much buoyancy for a setup is because there are a lot of combinations and variables. Best is to empirically weigh your rig in the water with a luggage scale. From there you can calculate how much buoyancy you need. I have float arms that can support the base weight of my rig. Then I have stix floats that I can vary depending on the camera setup to fine tune buoyancy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Just to add to the very good advice from Pomacentridae, it's definitely worth having two arms on each side because of the flexibility this provides. 5" and 8" are good choices. 

    You could always start with a setup for one side and then add a second side ((handle, arms and clamps) when you feel the need or you would like to try out a different lighting arrangement.

    As Pomacentridae sets out, for many situations one light works well enough - even in wide-angle shots. 

    I didn't go the float arms route but instead used Stix floats. I find them very flexible in terms of being to add or subtract buoyancy. In practice though I very rarely change the number of floats I use whether I'm shooting a 105mm, 60mm, 10-17mm or 10-24mm with their differing ports etc. My system is very slightly negatively buoyant and switching lenses and ports doesn't, I find, make such a significant difference to the buoyancy characteristics of the system that it warrants changing the floats.

  7. One more vote for stix floats. They are definitely the value for money option and also the most flexible. 

  8. Many thanks for your advice, you have already helped me a lot! Stix Floats sound great, I'll try that.

    Just to be sure, my design then consists of these components:

    1 x TR-D Tray with TF-DHB Handle
    1 x DB-05 5" double ball arm
    1 x DB-08 8" double ball arm
    3 x AC-CSF clamps
    1 x AD-IN adapter for INON strobe

    Am I ready to order? :D

  9. 2 hours ago, Chrisew said:

    Many thanks for your advice, you have already helped me a lot! Stix Floats sound great, I'll try that.

    Just to be sure, my design then consists of these components:

    1 x TR-D Tray with TF-DHB Handle
    1 x DB-05 5" double ball arm
    1 x DB-08 8" double ball arm
    3 x AC-CSF clamps
    1 x AD-IN adapter for INON strobe

    Am I ready to order? :D

    Yeah, that all makes good sense.

  10. A couple of tricks for saving money:

    - Neutral buoyancy is not critical, as long as the rig is not too heavy. Personally I like a system to be heavy enough that I can put it down without it floating away. Unless you are going deep, chunks of cheap closed cell polyurethane foam work nicely. I currently use a swimming 'noodle' cut into rings. In the past I have used strips of a swimming float and duct tape. Both compress with depth (and age), so buoyancy decreases with depth, but not so much that I have ever found it a problem.

    - Prior to getting a second strobe, for macro you can use a white card to reflect some strobe light and help kill harsh shadows. 

  11. On 2/13/2023 at 10:13 AM, JohnLiddiard said:

    - Prior to getting a second strobe, for macro you can use a white card to reflect some strobe light and help kill harsh shadows. 

    thank you for this advice! You may have just saved me a few hundred bucks - I was thinking of getting dual backscatter MF-2 units for macro, but worried i would be getting in over my head going from onboard flash only to 2 at once.  

    Edited by diverareyouok
  12. On 2/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, JohnLiddiard said:

    Prior to getting a second strobe, for macro you can use a white card to reflect some strobe light and help kill harsh shadows. 

    I wouldn't disagree with John's thinking. But do bear in mind that it's quite likely you would need to hand hold a reflector - leaving you with only one hand to hold your system. It's not that easy and may well require a good bit of juggling!

  13. I use INON clams and arms and they are great as well. Before we end up in fanclubs, who writes the first UCLS vs INON clam review?

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.