I am looking for any recommendations for lights that will work for both video and stills. What do you like and not like about said lights?
Thanks!
Ben
Read-only discussion
I am looking for any recommendations for lights that will work for both video and stills. What do you like and not like about said lights?
Thanks!
Ben
Good video lights CAN work for video and stills, but strobes are like 5 orders of magnitude more light. I have used Solas, Keldans, Kraken and FIX, all will do the job depending on what camera you are shooting with,
If you look at our website, all the video was shot with Sola lights.
Bill
To expand upon what Bill says, the use of lights for stills can be done, and is perhaps more readily accomplished in systems where you need less light output, I'm thinking systems like a TG-6 where you shoot at f2.8 and macro shots where you are very close to the subjects.
You could use ISO to help but you boost response to both ambient light and that from your video light, so it is not possible to overpower the ambient light for wide angle shots. You could do like video and take a custom white balance and correct the image, but the range of the lights will be quite limited. Something like split shots where you are stopping right down and exposing top of frame in ambient light you need all the power you can get and I think infeasible for video lights.
The other thing with video lights is that they are blindingly bright and fish and other mobile critters are likely to leave if you point the lights at them.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.