I'm doing my first trip (to Truk) using a Pelican case. I got as much stuff into it as I could while still having padding between objects, and I was still under 50 pounds. Pelican Air 1615.
For the past 7 years I've put my DSLR housing (D810, then D850, now Z9) into a Thinktank roller bag. It weighed between 35 and 40 pounds depending on what I stuffed into it, but it always included the housing and the 230mm dome port. I was unable to get a full rig into it, leaving arms, strobes, focus light, macro port, dome extension and the arm clamps to go into my suitcase.
I was able to get my full rig into the Pelican, with both ports, the extension, clamps, arms, two viewfinders - almost everything. I was only able to put one YS-D1 and one Backscatter Miniflash in, leaving 3 more strobes for the suitcase. I was also unable to put my STIX floats in, so they are in the suitcase too.
I got the Pelican with the foam inserts that are cut into 1/4 inch squares. I used a bread knife to separate out the parts I wanted to remove, and all went pretty well once I decided where to locate everything. The foam takes up a fair amount of space, but then that it basically how it works. I might try different ways to separate the parts next time. I'm sure I could get in all the STIX and probably one or two more strobes. I think the strobes would put me past 50 pounds though.
Anyway, here is how I used to do it, with carry-on:
https://www.cjcphoto.net/uwcamera/
And here are shots of the new system in the Pelican case. I have a shot of the lower level, the upper level, and the stuff that didn't fit.
In the bottom layer I have 14 pieces, including 3 clamps inside the 50mm dome extension in one corner. Four 8-inch strobe arms are tucked in on top of each other in two spots. Those spots are sort of under the dome. One of the neoprene bags for a viewfinder is stuck in the hole in the middle for more padding. There is a Backscatter miniflash and a Backscatter focus light plus the macro port. And a 180 degree viewfinder.
In the top later there is the housing, rope handle, vacuum pump and some bits in a black bag, the vacuum gage, some clamps, a miniflash 2 muck/tripod stick (under a package of wheel weights in white), a YS-D1 strobe, a 45 degree viewfinder.and some housing bits sitting on top of the macro port.
I think this whole think weighs 45 pounds now. I put a hooded vest in there too, but it still had more weight to spare.
I think I'll put my Eneloops into the YS-D1 next time, instead of the suitcase. They are not LiON batteries, so should be safe to pack.
This is what didn't fit. My other wide angle strobe, plus a spare, and the second miniflash plus a snoot.
I needed two more STIX (maybe), but just got a 4-pack. I'll figure out what to do in Truk, but I was very close before without the wheel weights I intend to stick on the dome port to trim it a bit. I was missing two of the STIX inserts that hold the floats tight on the arms, and that is probably all I'll need. (Just swap four of the old ones for the new ones.)