Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wetpixel Live: Old Lenses for New Cameras

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Live: Old Lenses for New Cameras

8 posts
  1. The transition of full frame mirrorless cameras from SLR has reduced the number of lens options available to photographers, and given the tiny number of those using them underwater, there are some gaps in appropriate lenses for using with them. Alex and Adam discuss some of the older lenses, including Nikonos, and how some of these may work with the new cameras, while others currently will not. 

     

  2. Interesting video, thanks for the info. I would just add that at this time the Nauticam adapter for Nikonos lenses is an N100 adapter which  only work with Sony FF cameras if I am not mistaken. RF and Z cameras that are APS-C cameras use N100 so it might work but I believe the RF and Z full frame housings are N120 if memory serves.

    I don't know of any after market adapters for these lenses so at this time they are limited to Nauticam housings with the N100 mount.

    I would also point out that Sony has already addressed the "big challenge" of developing a screw drive adapter for legacy lenses like the A-mount Sony and Minolta lenses on Sony mirrorless bodies.  I have attached a photo of the adapter and the adapter with the Sony A-mount 16mm F/2.8 fisheye lens. Like the Nikonos 15mm the problem with the wider lenses is that they don't focus as close as modern lenses. The Sony 16mm fisheye focuses to 20cm while the Canon 8-15mm fisheye focuses to 15cm this is a huge difference when it comes to fisheye lenses. 

     

    IMG_4959.jpg

    IMG_4961.jpg

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  3. 11 minutes ago, Phil Rudin said:

    Interesting video, thanks for the info. I would just add that at this time the Nauticam adapter for Nikonos lenses is an N100 adapter which  only work with Sony FF cameras if I am not mistaken. RF and Z cameras that are APS-C cameras use N100 so it might work but I believe the RF and Z full frame housings are N120 if memory serves.

     

     

    It is an important point that the possibility isn’t universal at the moment. 

    Although other housing brands have Nikonos mounts that are not restricted to a Sony only port size, so these adapters will work with non-Sony FF Mirrorless - assuming the spacing between the port and the camera is correct.

    1479618663.jpg

    Anyway I think if there is demand it is a pretty simple item for any housing manufacturer to make. 

    Alex 

  4. Good to know that mounts are available for other housings and port mount sizes.

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  5. The problem to make adapters for Nikonos 15mm is the distance between housing bayonet and camera mount. Most of the housings have around 35mm (with dslr housings) and more in Mirrorless housings. So the Nikonos focus and f/stop knobs will interfere with the housing bayonet mount. Nauticam housings for Sony cameras has 100mm diameter bayonet which allows to place the bayonet closer to the camera lens mount and then you have enough space to let the Nikonos knobs out of the housing. I guess that when Nauticam designed the first Sony A housing they decided to use 100mm diameter bayonet in order of being able to use Nikonos lenses... I guess Subal did the same!! But this decision has consequences... when using big Af lenses and standard ports you have first to take ports out and the lens out, before taking camera out of the housing... This could be annoying if you just want to change the battery.

  6. It is an important point that the possibility isn’t universal at the moment. 

    Although other housing brands have Nikonos mounts that are not restricted to a Sony only port size, so these adapters will work with non-Sony FF Mirrorless - assuming the spacing between the port and the camera is correct.

    1479618663.jpg

    Anyway I think if there is demand it is a pretty simple item for any housing manufacturer to make. 

    Alex 

    The nikonos flange distance is 28mm while all the other mirrorless including sony are 18mm (canon and nikon too)

    So those old lenses cannot be adapted to any DSLR because those have longer flange 44 to 46mm but they can go in a mirrorless full frame

     

    The other way around is possible so all DSLR lenses can go to mirrorless

    So mirrorless is better able to adapt all sorts of lenses as many have longer flange distance

  7. The problem to make adapters for Nikonos 15mm is the distance between housing bayonet and camera mount. Most of the housings have around 35mm (with dslr housings) and more in Mirrorless housings. So the Nikonos focus and f/stop knobs will interfere with the housing bayonet mount. Nauticam housings for Sony cameras has 100mm diameter bayonet which allows to place the bayonet closer to the camera lens mount and then you have enough space to let the Nikonos knobs out of the housing. I guess that when Nauticam designed the first Sony A housing they decided to use 100mm diameter bayonet in order of being able to use Nikonos lenses... I guess Subal did the same!! But this decision has consequences... when using big Af lenses and standard ports you have first to take ports out and the lens out, before taking camera out of the housing... This could be annoying if you just want to change the battery.

    That’s not the reason actually
    Sony e mount ring on the body is 46mm
    Rf and z mount are in the region of 55mm
    On that basis emount aspc is n85 same as MFT and full frame N100
    This is not the reason for problems of fit except on canon ef adapted lenses and only when a gear is installed otherwise you can push a canon 8-15mm through a sony N100 housing
    The issue is with some larger lenses but in some cases nauticam uses the canon adapter also for lenses where a gear cant reach all the way to the housing
    I have a tamron 17-28mm the zoom ring is after the focus ring so you need the N120 adapter to use the zoom otherwise the lens would fit
    Or there are also situations where extension rings are only made N120
    This is not a bas thing I am running my entire sony full frame with a single N100 flat port and all the rest are N120 I have recycled I only had to get two adapters N100 to N120 and N120 back to N100 and the whole set of domes are reused which is great
    DSLR dont work with nikonos because flange distance is longer the adaptation cant go that way
    More over with mirrorless the sensor is closer to the housing not further away


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Great video guys! As someone who has been interested in this topic for quite a while, it’s nice to see it being discussed. Obviously the small size and high image quality of these lenses means there are still compelling reasons to figure out how to use them on modern cameras. I’ll offer a few notes:

    On the topic of converting the 13mm to work on mirrorless cameras, it is not the case that the o-ring slides forward/backward during focusing. In all configurations of the 13mm (both stock and any type of conversion) the front element, outside body, and o-ring all remain stationary. Only the inner elements move during focusing.

    While in the past I have adapted the 13mm to Sony mirrorless by utilizing one of those adapters that moves the inner elements forward/backward to focus, the new solution I’ve come up with does not use one of those adapters and works as well as a native Sony lens. And I believe it will also be usable on Nikon mirrorless since there are Sony E to Nikon Z adapters that are reported to work well. 

    Regarding the difficulty of focusing MF lenses like the 15mm, magnifying the view and focusing manually is one method that is very accurate/reliable, but it is only practical for static situations. For me the most practical approach for moving subjects is as Alex suggested to prefocus to a certain distance and then try to shoot all your subjects at that distance. And if you come across a subject at a different distance, you can refocus and then shoot at the new distance for a while. It can work, but obviously the success rate is going to be lower than with an AF lens. 

    While the 15mm is undoubtedly very good optically, I was under the impression that it is the 13mm that Pawel claimed to be the sharpest wide angle underwater lens he has tested? His website says the 13mm “is the only underwater optics able to deliver sharpness well beyond 8K underwater”.

    On the topic of screw drive adapters, Sony has made one for Sony A to Sony E, and Monster has made one for Pentax K to Sony E. So I think it’s possible a lens adapter company will eventually make a Nikon F screw drive adapter, but who knows.

    As for used prices for the Sea & Sea 12mm, $100 would be quite a steal. In my experience they usually sell for around $800-1500. This is the next lens I want to try turning into an AF lens when I have the free time.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.