Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wet lens recommendations for Sony A6600

Started by toque ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Wet lens recommendations for Sony A6600

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone. I'd like to see if I can find some wet lenses to work better with my new camera. Sony A6600 in a Nauticam housing and Sony 16/50 lens. One of the reasons I bought this camera was because I could use wet lenses with it. I like this because it allows me to shoot standard, macro and wide angle on any dive. The wet lenses I currently have were used on my last setup, Sony RX100 version 1. I loved the RX100 and would have stuck with it (except I got the a dreaded error message), but the new version seems have gotten just like an SLR when it comes to lenses. You have to buy a separate port for the lens, at least for the Nauticam housing. I also love the auto focus upgrade I get with the A6600, will really help me out in low light I hope. The wet lenses I have are UCL165/M67, Nauticam CMC1 and UWL-04/28mm with dome. The UCL works fine for my needs. I do wonder if anyone has ever stacked this to get more magnification.The CMC1 has a crazy small working distance, so I'd love to find something  with a little more distance. The UWL-04 shows the interior of the lens port unless I zoom out about half way and then I seem to loose field of view angle when I do this. Any suggestions on other lenses? BTW does anyone know whether the Nauticam 16/50 lens port supports more than just this lens? Thanks

  2. A basic starting point for wet lenses is the Nauticam port chart it provides fields of view and working distances for their WWL products and the CMC lenses.  You'll see the CMC-2 gives more working distance at the cost of some magnification.  That's pretty much un-avoidable as closeup lenses work my allowing the prime lens to focus closer.  Some lenses may give a little more working room, for example I have seen the the INON UCL-90 has a little more working room.  port chart:

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R-NljuNcdGIlFs_m5AedRC6be_1PApAx/view

    On wet lenses the WWL-1 gives 110° max field while the WWL-C gives you 124° .

    I assume you have the recommended flat port  either the macro port 40 or 45.  The AOI is a 52mm lens designed for compact cameras and that might be why you are having issues.  This post has a lot of sample images.  You can click of the image for a larger view and the images have EXIF data embedded so you can check what focal length they used.  You will see the grouper shot with WWL was at 18mm focal length however Nauticam say you have to zoom into 20mm - so image might be cropped? 

    https://www.housingcamera.com/blog/product-reviews/the-ultimate-wet-lens-sample-post

  3. I shoot 16-50mm with Fantasea/AOI UWL-09F - it works well, but I have to zoom to 19mm to avoid vignetting. It's a bit annoying, as the camera resets to 16mm when it powers on, but fairly easy to manage. Can't tell the exact AoV, but it's a good deal wider than 10-18mm in a dome, albeit with significant barrel distortion. If you're using a Nauticam housing, WWL-C is probably the best fit for you - it's built for 24mm-equivalent lenses, so it will work from 16mm through the entire zoom range. 

  4.  Yes I have the macro port 45. Thanks for all the info. Looking at the UWL-04 at my desk on land, I feel like I have to zoom out to 20mm, so I guess I don't loose that much of the AOV. I'm sorry, but I don't know what AOI stands for, so a little help there and how do I access the EXIF data? 

    Barmaglot what camera are you shooting?

  5. Just figured out how to get the EXIF info. Thanks again

  6. 3 hours ago, toque said:

    I'm sorry, but I don't know what AOI stands for

    A Taiwanese (I believe) company manufacturing underwater photography equipment. https://www.aoi-uw.com/

    Your UWL-04 is one of their products.

    3 hours ago, toque said:

    Barmaglot what camera are you shooting?

    A6300 in a SeaFrogs Salted Line housing.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.