Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

RAW vs Jpeg?

Started by eyeu ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

RAW vs Jpeg?

6 posts
  1. RAW vs Jpeg?

    Wonder what the forum thinks of shooting RAW vs Jpeg....I have tried both and think the RAW files are somewhat difficult to manage considering their size but do allow better WB calibration. Sorry if this topic has been covering in the past...

    thanks

    Rick

  2. I cannot imagine NOT shooting raw. Regardless of the situation, conditions, etc, on my best day there is always an improvement I can realize in my shots that would be nearly impossible had I shot in any other format, including 16 bit Tiff!

     

    I let my family and the kids use the camera on Thanksgiving to take a large number of family shots, and although a batch "action" was used to save most of the shots as JPEG, there were a large number of really good "moments" that were saved because they were shot in raw. This holds true even more with underwater shots, as white balance and color cast issues are almost non existant when shooting RAW.

     

    My humble $.02

  3. I can't agree more about the freedom and convienence that raw allows. No white balance issues. Total joy.

  4. I completely agree that RAW is the way to go, but I would qualify that depending on what camera you are using. With the latest DSLR's, sure blaze away in RAW mode. The Nikon D70 for example is so fast that there really is no penalty for shooting RAW.

     

    With cameras like the Nikon 5000 or Oly 5050 you are going to have some delays and feel some pain using RAW. For UW shots it is probably worth the effort, for other shots, I don't know.

     

    Dave

  5. The canon G6 and pro1 have great raw cycle times.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.