My compact Nikon AW130 died last month after 5 years of very hard use. Which I have mixed feelings about. It was a great little camera, easy to tote around, but by the end I really felt like I was outgrowing it and the photos I envisioned rarely matched what it was capable of.
For the most part, I focus on nudibranches and other macro stuff. I decided that the TG-6 would be a good “step up”. I’m not expecting to get superb shots with it, but I think they’ll be considerably better than with my AW130… and since my main reason for taking the photos is to share on social media and look at later, that’s fine with me.
I went ahead and got a TG-6 housing, a backscatter M52 air lens, and the camera itself, but now I’m stuck looking for flash units that are portable and not overly expensive. I have a pair of old flash units from a different setup years and years ago (UltraMax UltraPower UXDS-1) that are just too big and bulky to use with the Olympus. Plus, traveling with them would be a real headache. I’ll probably sell them to recoup some of the money I spent on the new setup.
I’ve been looking at the Backscatter Mini Flash 2 (MF-2), which apparently is a big step up from the original version, and can use the TG-6’s RC Flash setting. Which is appealing, since for the most part, I think I’m probably going to be letting the camera decide the flash settings (at least at this stage). The product video on the backscatter website and on reviews all tout how “big of a deal” RC flash capability is.
I noticed that some other flash units fit my parameters, but they ‘only’ offer TTL support. For example, the Backscatter MF-1, the Sea & Sea YS-03 (although since I may eventually want the ability to use manual, this isn’t high on my list) or the Inon S-2000.
I guess my question boils down to this: will the difference in photo/lighting quality using the rc setting with the Mf-2 be enough to justify the extra money it costs compared to the others? Or would I likely not ever even notice the difference?
Thanks for taking the time to read through this and share your opinions.