Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DIY 1-to-2 fiber optic cable?

Started by diverareyouok ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

DIY 1-to-2 fiber optic cable?

5 posts
  1. I just got the Olympus housing for the TG-6 (macro photography) and realized it only has one single female receptacle for the FO cable. Which will be a problem when I need to use 2 strobes. I’ve seen a 1-to-2 cable that would plug into that single hole, then split into two separate cables, but I hate to pay $40-90 when I have the cables themselves handy and to spare. i’m wondering if any of you have modified two cables so they both fit into the same single hole?

    I measured the diameter of the naked FO cable and it’s just under 1mm. I measured the diameter of the coated FO cable and it’s just over 2mm. And theory, I should be able to stick two naked lengths of naked cable into the same male plug, right? Would it matter that there will be a centimeter or so of “naked” cable on each one? I’m assuming it won’t, and that light leakage will be minimal as long as the cable gets coated before it goes on too far… but I’m not totally sure. Perhaps there’s something else that I don’t even know about (but should be aware of) that would make this unfeasible, so I thought I’d ask around in here before committing 2 cables to the project. 

    … and yeah, I know it would be easier to just buy one, but now that I have the idea in my head, it’s hard for me to justify not at least giving it a shot before throwing in the towel. 

    8071675A-36AC-4380-B43F-A3895DFF44E8.jpeg

    Edited by diverareyouok
  2. Do read this right and you are trying to plug two fibre optic cables into one bulkhead?

    If so, Inon have a rubber bush that fits the standard fibre optic bulkhead but allows two fibre optic cable ends to fit into it. Would that be a simple solution?

    Here's a link to them at Reef Photo:

    https://reefphoto.com/products/inon-double-hole-fiber-optic-plug-rubber-bush-plug

    Edited by TimG
  3. 45 minutes ago, TimG said:

    Do read this right and you are trying to plug two fibre optic cables into one bulkhead?

    If so, Inon have a rubber bush that fits the standard fibre optic bulkhead but allows two fibre optic cable ends to fit into it. Would that be a simple solution?

    Here's a link to them at Reef Photo:

    https://reefphoto.com/products/inon-double-hole-fiber-optic-plug-rubber-bush-plug

    That’s exactly what I’m trying to do, and this would be much more simple. I’m glad I posted, because otherwise I’d have done it the hard way. Thank you!!

  4. I have seem some 3d printed of these 'pig' nose... easy to find online and if possible a free place to print.

     

    Many moons ago...we use playdoh,/blutack. Not the most secure.. but work decenly

     

     

     

     

     

  5. 10 hours ago, diverareyouok said:

    That’s exactly what I’m trying to do, and this would be much more simple. I’m glad I posted, because otherwise I’d have done it the hard way. Thank you!!

    :good:

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.