Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Nikonos SB105 frozen connector

Started by rmcgonegal ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikonos SB105 frozen connector

4 posts
  1. Nikonos SB105 frozen connector

    Well, guess I should have undone the connector more often. I use an SB105 in slave mode and forgot to undo the connector. It is more than hand tight, and a slight wiggling with pliers on the metal cap shows that the entire thing rotates.

     

    Questions are

    #1 since it rotates, is the flash no longer water tight (it is still very stiff, but it was rotated about 1/4 turn)

    #2 is it repairable

     

    thx - of course, Xmas dive trip is around the corner, Murphy strikes

    :oops:

  2. Hi,

     

    I bought a used 105 in this condition. I sent it to Southern Nikonos Service Center and he fixed it for 41 bucks. There is an o-ring on the backside of the connector that keeps it watertight. If you try to force the cap off, there is a plastic tab on the connector inside that will shear off.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. James - thanks for the answer.

     

    Are you saying that it is okay to keep diving with it? I am in Mindoro, Philippines over Xmas, and then back in the US late January when I could get it repaired?

  4. Don't ask me, I just meant to tell you how it's designed, not if yours will flood or not. Better safe than sorry if you ask me.

     

    Cheers

    James

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.