Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fogging experience

Started by alcina ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Fogging experience

2 posts
  1. On my recent Bali trip I had horrendous fogging from a few minutes into the first dive of the day and, as I'd already lost my strobe to a sensor flood, I was pretty sad.  But, hey, I was in Bali and knew the critters would be fabulous so settled in to enjoy a photo free dive...but then I thought, why not see what would happen if I tried to take photos anyway.  Fully expecting blur blur blur.

    Imagine my happy face when my photos turned out pretty dang good, even finding focus on tough subjects like skeleton shrimp in current.  Wide, super close-up and "regular" macro shots all worked.  I'm sharing to let others know that all may not be lost if you get big fog; just keep smiling & shooting!  I did two dives with the rig this way; the left shot shows how bad it was & the right hand shows one of only two frames that didn't hit the subject.  Ideal, no.  Pleasantly surprising, surely!

    Olympus TG5 in Oly housing

    foggy01.jpg

    foggy02.jpg

  2. The 0lympus TG cameras take excellent UW photos. It pays to use a dessicant pack in the 0lympus housing which otherwise fogs up rather quickly, and also can be difficult to open and close. I have now switched to an Ikelite housing for ease of use, and to avoid the fogging.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.