Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea&Sea YS-D2 Troubleshooting help?

Started by Lexionn ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea&Sea YS-D2 Troubleshooting help?

9 posts
  1. I'm stumped and seeking help from the community. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide all the details.

     
    For the last three years or so, I have been shooting with two YS-D2s; one YS-D2J (yellow, "D2J") and one China-made (black, "D2"). My understanding is that the D2 and D2J are identical in all specifications and functionality and only differ in where they were manufactured. I'm using a Sony A7RIV in a Marelux housing with a Marelux flash trigger, and fiber optic cables. The strobes worked flawlessly until I blew out the flash tube on the D2 on a recent trip to Raja Ampat.
     
    Thus, I bought a used YS-D2 (China) to replace the old one. The problem is that I can't get this new (used) strobe to fire like my old D2 and my D2J. 
     
    I'm shooting in manual mode with both strobes set up in parallel and with the same settings (the old D2J and the new (used) D2). The D2J fires perfectly every time, but nothing out of the D2. I have switched cables and connection points to the flash trigger with the same results. I have cleaned out the flash trigger sensor connection. I have changed the batteries in the flash trigger. I have used all different settings. I have ensured the "customize mode" is set the same, although it shouldn't matter if I put both in manual mode (green light). Both strobes show they're ready to fire with a strong green light. The D2 would not fire regardless of Mode (manual w pre-flash, manual, or TTL)
     
    A couple of things further complicate the picture. The seller of the used strobe had tested it and showed me that it had indeed fired with the setup that they used (I'm not sure exactly which setup they had). This could indicate potential issues with my setup. 
     
    Further, after much testing back and forth, I managed to get the strobe to fire when connecting it to the D2J strobe as a slave rather than directly to the flash trigger (connecting the fiber optic cable from the port for an additional strobe of the D2J to the normal slave port of the D2, but this is obviously not the way I want it set up. This worked for the manual and TTL modes, but not for the pre-flash mode (the latter as expected). The one difference here is that the flash trigger is red while the slave trigger from the D2J is white, and clearly more powerful. Why would it trigger from the D2J but not from the flash trigger, when my original D2, and my D2J had no problems doing so? And would the color of the flash trigger matter?
     
    Continuing my troubleshooting, I was able to trigger the strobe just by holding up the fiber optic cable to a compact digital camera flash (white).
     
    So what could possibly be wrong, or what can I be doing wrong? Is there a setting for the strobe that I'm not aware of? Could the D2J trigger be more sensitive than the D2 despite identical specifications? But if so, why did my old one fire perfectly? The flash trigger emits a red flash rather than a white flash. Would this impact in some way (but why would this be different between my old D2 and the new D2)?  Could the new (used) D2 be an older version with slightly different specs and therefore not be compatible with the newer flash trigger?
     
    I would love to have any ideas you might have in either troubleshooting or solutions. I'm at wits end.

    Many thanks in advance for your help.
  2. It sounds like the second hand strobe's photocell trigger is less sensitive than it should be. Maybe the cure is to return it and get your money back, or use a brighter trigger, or sell both strobes and buy a pair of Inons, as practically all the strobe problems narrated here involve Sea and Sea strobes.   

  3. The S&S black models have a not so good reliability reputation which is why the YS-D2J came out - get your money back if you can and find a YS-D2J.

  4. Chris is right, sell the Sea and Sea's. And buy two Inon Z330's which are excellent strobes.

  5. Are you using multi-core FO cables?

    More cores might activate the photocell more reliably. 

  6. Thanks. Good idea. I've tested 4 different cables all with the same result so I don't think that's the determining factor. But it may of course impact.

  7. That may be where I end up. But I find it extremely frustrating when it points to something I should be able to solve...

  8. When you trigger the strobe manually, can you control its power? My 2 YS-D2 blew up but it took me some time to realize that they were either only firing the pre-flash, or the flash at full power, but nothing in-between. Faulty, overpowered batteries were the culprit (and killed the strobes in the process)

    It doesn't sound like it's your issue here, but thought it may be helpful to check.

    I can only join the others in stating that YS-D2 are not reliable...

  9. Thanks everyone for the attempts. the YS-D2s have been returned. YS-D3s in route...

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.