Hi guys. Hoping to go to Rajat Ampat in 2024. I'm specifically looking for accommodation recommendations. Whats your favorite area? Is live aboard the way to go?
TIA
Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic
Started by toque ·
Read-only discussion
Hi guys. Hoping to go to Rajat Ampat in 2024. I'm specifically looking for accommodation recommendations. Whats your favorite area? Is live aboard the way to go?
TIA
Liveaboard is by far the nicest way, but Misool Resort is really next level resort diving. You can also do both if you have the time/finances.
I thought land based was really nice in RA because the dive groups were really small, and we had one guide per buddy team. Each boat (4 divers, 2 guides, 1 captain) went to a different dive site, so when we went to a site it was pretty much only us there. Papua Diving (Sorido Bay/Kri Eco) and Papua Explorers are great. Misool Eco Resort was fully booked for a while when I checked last summer.
I have been once in Raja Ampat and made both liveaboard and homestay (2020)...
Liveaboard is the way to go for the Misool area (unless you take the resort there). For the Street of Dampier it is not required, these places are easily reached from the resorts. There are several resorts that have standards people like us are used to have (although at exorbitant prices). In addition there are several homestays with diving bases, that are run by native people. They offer standards, that we need to get accoustomed, but they offer a good price and also an unforgettable experience as you live together and as as the local people (but because of low standard this is not for everybody)...
I have put here a trip report about the homestay and also one about the liveaboard experience:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4492725
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4492874
Wolfgang
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.