I have a blog but the subscription I use has no ads it is a feature of wordpress to choose if you want random ads or remove them. This costs me money and I make no money directly from it.
I have decided to remove them mostly because they are not targeted and are seen as spam
Within what I write there are sometimes affiliate links. The general approach to affiliate links is that nobody other than the seller (amazon in this case) pays anything until something happens. To the end user it makes no difference whatsoever if the links is affiliate or not. In addition they can decide to buy something else. In my case I suggest what I use and I know how it works I don't get send stuff normally to run a test and if I do I write it clearly and anyway don't get paid for it.
There is another challenge once you are an affiliate and you share an item on the amazon app you always get an affiliate link by default and frankly unless there is a policy not to post an affiliate link I minimise the effort to find another link
As of today my blog generates near zero affiliate revenues because the UW audience is very specific and small
On YouTube the situation is different, there I do some reviews again of things I use for myself or I have used for myself and there you cannot easily dump links into the video. The standard is to disclose that you are using affiliate links but also that you did not get paid to do that review or else. If you did you need to say that to YouTube
As a end user I do not care at all about affiliates, as they cost me nothing, and if I see sponsored content or not makes no difference to my take on a review made by others.
In the specific of wetpixel I wrote sometimes extremely long articles with over 10-15 images which are impossible to post in full in a forum for a variety of reasons:
1. Limits on attachments
2. Unworkable to have drafts
3. Limit on the number of words and styles
So if I have a question that is simple I post it as a question on the forum or I participate to the forum however I would not use a forum as a proxy for a blog where I have full control of content which includes copyright considerations on the work I do
I am aware of other people that are paid to do review and then refer to those in the forum and those then point to other magazines services which are free to the user and based on advertising and that is totally fine too
On the other side if there is an interesting article on wetpixel or on the forum I also refer this into my content and I do not care either about the benefit to wetpixel
Now when it comes to where some affiliate money comes from is actually YouTube and not for underwater stuff
I post a generic review on HDMI monitors or batteries I get many clicks, I post a review of underwater equipment I have two issues
1. There is no affiliate scheme
2. The audience is too little
For this reason I have decided to limit the effort of shooting a video for underwater purposes to things that are not too technical to require a write down. it is not possible to edit a video you shot and addressing comments is not straightforward so it is better for things that are very much definitive and mostly simple to digest.
In my opinion forums are already dropping in traffic and removing content, even third party, on the basis that someone may getting money and not even from you is not a good approach and besides it is not forbidden by the rules of the forum.
The entire internet is there to be used what is the point of trying to police your garden when google finds it anyway?
As the content is not spam and the UW population is miniscule part of the worldwide population, I would recomment to let it be and leave the users to understand what to do with the link provided as opposed to remove content they would not anyway be able to find