Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

mounting focus light on Nauticam macro port cold shoe - i need help!

Started by rwb500 ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

mounting focus light on Nauticam macro port cold shoe - i need help!

14 posts
  1. I miss when housings had cold shoes or extra ball mounts for mounting focus lights.  The port-mounted cold shoe seems too close to the port glass for easy focus light positioning.  What am I doing wrong?  Should I buy the shorter length cold shoe ball mount?  Is there a way to add another ball mount to my Nauticam A9 housing?  

    Should I just give up on having any flexibility and buy the cold shoe to YS mount adapter?  Im worried that will leave my light too close to the port.

     

     

    IMG_1830.thumb.JPG.876a8f70fb5255ac529b2f7275aa850f.JPG

    IMG_1832.thumb.JPG.1325e271ab6d9f985eea09acfb5e38dd.JPG

  2. Can I add another ball mount like this?

     

    NAU-A7RIv-Ult-7.thumb.jpg.6ecc2470e76f6a09212dd04c8c10241b.jpg

    My housing looks like this when I take off the metal bracket.  Not sure how to remove that plastic piece.  Are there M10 threads hiding in there?

     

    IMG_1828.thumb.JPG.43a850edbdfe8c96081ca03a2d4389c6.JPG

  3. ok it appears from this video that I can add the M10 mounting balls-

     

     

  4. I had the same dilemma and for me is the M5 mounting ball to replace the screw directly

  5.  

    11 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    I had the same dilemma and for me is the M5 mounting ball to replace the screw directly

    Cool thanks.  Does that style have a bolt that goes all the way through?  I don't like it when the ball mount is the same piece as the threads - it twists itself loose so easily.

  6.  
    Cool thanks.  Does that style have a bolt that goes all the way through?  I don't like it when the ball mount is the same piece as the threads - it twists itself loose so easily.

    I think it goes through all the way and is fixed. Will let you know when I get it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. There are probably a number of ways to mount your focus light. I never cared much for the cold mounting shoes on ports and extensions after losing a focus light and ball mount once-upon-a-time.

    I just returned from a Mexico dive trip and was taking a break from disassembling gear when noticed your post. Here's what I use.

    I added a couple of ball mounts and use a strobe arm and a couple of clamps to create a crossbar that allows mounting a near-centered ball mount for my focus light. The ball mount on the crossbar is designed specifically for use on strobe arms. The crossbar system works very nicely. All of the parts are from ULCS.

    The same mounting system can be done with a longer strobe arm and a couple of triple clamps to attach the bar to the handle ball mounts rather than adding ball mounts.

    A crossbar makes it easy for a boat crew to handle the housing/camera system as they hand it to and take it from a diver who's in the water.

    -Tinman

      

    IMG_1015.jpg

    IMG_1016.jpg

  8. There are probably a number of ways to mount your focus light. I never cared much for the cold mounting shoes on ports and extensions after losing a focus light and ball mount once-upon-a-time.
    I just returned from a Mexico dive trip and was taking a break from disassembling gear when noticed your post. Here's what I use.
    I added a couple of ball mounts and use a strobe arm and a couple of clamps to create a crossbar that allows mounting a near-centered ball mount for my focus light. The ball mount on the crossbar is designed specifically for use on strobe arms. The crossbar system works very nicely. All of the parts are from ULCS.
    The same mounting system can be done with a longer strobe arm and a couple of triple clamps to attach the bar to the handle ball mounts rather than adding ball mounts.
    A crossbar makes it easy for a boat crew to handle the housing/camera system as they hand it to and take it from a diver who's in the water.
    -Tinman
      
    IMG_1015.thumb.jpg.9a284c9d6ded8d13d0f3edade487cce3.jpg
    IMG_1016.thumb.jpg.17f9768a0202fe3f27de5e69b016f6a7.jpg

    Yes I have concluded I will use the m10 ball removing the screws of the metal bars or you could fit the M5
    I use a lanyard for passing the rig to the boat it is more easily removed and no need for triple clamps that limit certain movements of the arms


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. I use triple clamps to mount crossbars on a couple of my housings that lack mounting points for additional ball mounts. The triple clamps on these rig don't limit arm movement much, but your experience is probably different from mine. I use longer arms on the rigs with triple clamps.

    All my rigs have lanyards and these have been used for many years when passing rigs to and from the boat. During this last trip, one crew member commented that he liked the crossbar better as a grab point because it felt more solid than than grabbing a lanyard. Honestly, I didn't care which 'grab point' he used as long as he didn't drop it. (LOL)

    I like having my focus light mounted as close to the center line of my rig as possible, but that's just a personal preference. A friend accomplishes pretty much the same thing with a housing mounted ball mount, a short strobe arm and a couple of clamps; he gets much greater movement angles with his focus light than I do with my crossbar.

    As noted in a previous post, there are lots of solutions to mounting focus lights (and other stuff like Go Pros) without a cold shoe mount. Some just stick a ball mount for their focus lights on a strobe arm. There's really no wrong way; it's more about our preferences.

    Someone stole a cold shoe mounted focus light off one of my rigs a couple of years ago. It probably only took a couple of seconds to remove it when no one was looking.

    Fun Stuff!

    Tinman

    Edited by Tinman
  10. Yes it is very personal
    I always have the focus light at an angle as I have had issues with backscatter in torbid waters but to be frank the light is also used as torch during wreck dives or similar
    I ended up with the M5 ball mount


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. On 3/27/2023 at 10:26 AM, Tinman said:

    The triple clamps on these rig don't limit arm movement much, but your experience is probably different from mine.

    I swapped over to using separate ball heads on each handle using the ultralight T-groove adaptor and then the xit 404 double ball head https://www.backscatter.com/XIT-404-Quad-Ball-Adaptor-Kit-with-2-Balls. It means the cross bar is not connected via triple clamp so when you move one,  you don't move the other. It also gives a pretty solid handle for handing cameras,  but I also use it when I want a different grip when shooting video underwater and holding both handles will compromise the shot.  The advantages to this is also that they come off pretty easy for transport making the housing shorter when packing (which can be nice).  The disadvantage is for some reason the bolts in the XIT are not metric....

    I don't have a close up of the setup but here it is and you can see the separate of arms and cross bar (I've posted this image before...sorry for the repeat).  McM2022-IMG_8459-scaled.jpg

    Anyway - sounds like the mounting of the aiming light is solved- but wanted to share other options than the triple clamp route.  

    Another option (and I'm not sure how universal this will fit housings from other brands) are a rigid mounting bar like this one:

    https://www.marelux.co/products/marelux-cross-mounting-barwithout-housing-mounting-ball

    That would provide both a great mount and a great hand hold...

  12. An inexpensive, relatively, solution may be to just get a new YS-type ball arm, maybe 75 or 100mm, which will get that light a bit further out and have a bit more flexibility with positioning. 

  13. 11 hours ago, RVbldr said:

    An inexpensive, relatively, solution may be to just get a new YS-type ball arm, maybe 75 or 100mm, which will get that light a bit further out and have a bit more flexibility with positioning. 

    The M5 ball arm is $28 I paid £24 in UK. This is by far the cheapest neatest option

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.