Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Removing Subal adapter from Zen dome port

Started by PeteAtkinson ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing Subal adapter from Zen dome port

5 posts
  1. A friend has a 200mm Zen glass dome port with a Subal mount adapter in the back-plate. It doesn't want to come apart. I assume you remove the locking screw, rotate tha adapter anti-clockwise, and pull it out.I have tried heating the back-plate and coolong the adapter with ice, but I can't move it. Any ideas?

  2. strap wrench is a likely solution, possibly after a good long soak.

  3. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing: soak in warm water then strap wrench.

  4. I was told once that the problem with the adapter plates on the 200mm domes was that the corrosion effects of salt water essentially welded the adapter to the port and most often it could not be removed, at least not without destroying the threads and rendering the port useless.  Hopefully, your friend's is not that far gone, but I was told that if I were buying a used 200mm Zen, get it for the housing I wanted because it probably could not be changed.

    Sorry and good luck.

     

    Plus, the adapters are no longer available, I believe.

    Edited by Draq
  5. similar thing - I now have a badly unrepairable scratch (don't ask :unsure:) on my DP/100, it's on an EXR-13/4 extension, how do I seperate them??? Ignore - I've seperated them, just being a bit weak :kiss:

    Edited by Mags

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.