Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

General Recs for Sony a1 Build!

Started by Arianna Skipper ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

General Recs for Sony a1 Build!

11 posts
  1. Hey all— after selling my DSLR rig, I’m finally bringing my topside camera underwater. 
    I am looking for general advice or testimonials about the setups people seem to like for their a1 or other Sony mirrorless systems. 
    I had an Aquatica for my DSLR— recommend that I stick with them for the a1? 
    I also do not have strobes for this rig yet, but I need to settle on a pair so I can choose my bulkhead. 
    Thanks in advance— I know if this a broad post, but I’m simply looking for what people recommend, what they wish they had/hadn’t purchased, etc. Thank you all!

  2. 14 minutes ago, Arianna Skipper said:

    Hey all— after selling my DSLR rig, I’m finally bringing my topside camera underwater. 
    I am looking for general advice or testimonials about the setups people seem to like for their a1 or other Sony mirrorless systems. 
    I had an Aquatica for my DSLR— recommend that I stick with them for the a1? 
    I also do not have strobes for this rig yet, but I need to settle on a pair so I can choose my bulkhead. 
    Thanks in advance— I know if this a broad post, but I’m simply looking for what people recommend, what they wish they had/hadn’t purchased, etc. Thank you all!

    This is where I got so far. At the bottom links to various rigs

    I use nauticam cant comment on aquatica

    https://interceptor121.com/2023/02/04/moving-to-full-frame-without-increasing-bulk/

  3. 56 minutes ago, Arianna Skipper said:

    Hey all— after selling my DSLR rig, I’m finally bringing my topside camera underwater. 
    I am looking for general advice or testimonials about the setups people seem to like for their a1 or other Sony mirrorless systems. 
    I had an Aquatica for my DSLR— recommend that I stick with them for the a1? 
    I also do not have strobes for this rig yet, but I need to settle on a pair so I can choose my bulkhead. 
    Thanks in advance— I know if this a broad post, but I’m simply looking for what people recommend, what they wish they had/hadn’t purchased, etc. Thank you all!

    What do you like to shoot?  wide angle, macro, CFWA, is video in the mix?  It may change the answer a little.

  4. 47 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    What do you like to shoot?  wide angle, macro, CFWA, is video in the mix?  It may change the answer a little.

    Mostly wide. Caves, springs, and sharks. Video is in the mix for sure, especially now. 

  5. Are planning on using Nauticam WACP-1 and if not, why not?

     

    I have the Sony A7R III with nauticam housing, using WWL-1 for wide angle with the 28-60 lens and the 90mm macro lens with flip adapter and SMC-1.  I am missing a fisheye (not sure what the options are for Sony FF) but other than that I think this is a great setup.  If I had the money for an A1 I would also have the money for WACP-1.

  6. Are planning on using Nauticam WACP-1 and if not, why not?
     
    I have the Sony A7R III with nauticam housing, using WWL-1 for wide angle with the 28-60 lens and the 90mm macro lens with flip adapter and SMC-1.  I am missing a fisheye (not sure what the options are for Sony FF) but other than that I think this is a great setup.  If I had the money for an A1 I would also have the money for WACP-1.

    You can adapt the canon 8-15mm
    The wacp is far away from the field of view of a fisheye
    It is distorted but for what concerns field of view is more or less equivalent to a 14mm lens and narrower on the vertical


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Hi Arianna,

    I just switched to Sony A7R5/Nauticam. I have a lot of stuff from my former Nauticam/Olympus equipment (EM5II and EM1II) that I will be able to use with it: several N120 extensions, (dome)ports (Zen DP170 and DP100, Nauticam 140 and Macroport 60), lenses (Canon 8-15mm fisheye, Canon 100mm IS macro; both via Metabones V adapter), flashes (Four Z330 and one YS-D2) and other, smaller, stuff. In addition I acquired the Tamron 17-28mm WA (expected to work well with DP170) and the Sony 50mm f1.2 (for over the water use) lenses, flash trigger, 45° viewfinder and N100/N120 adapter. The last of the new items have arrived only yesterday, I cannot say yet how this all will perform UW, but there are a lot of recommendations here already (tomorrow, 21.4., we are heading for 10 days to the mediterranean, then I can report first impressions)...:dance:

    But I can say something to the housing question (experience from me and my wife (I was allowed to use her stuff, when I did not have yet my own rig and she was not UW)): Lisi started with a Lumix TZ-5 in original plastic housing. Lateron she changed to Olympus EP-L7 in original Oly housing (now AOI). In 2017, I acquired a second hand Nauticam housing for Oly EM5II. Already then it turned out that the ports, extensions, zoomgears were not interchangeable between the two different housing manufacturers (so we stopped investing in the Oly/AOI system). Later, Lisi continued with the NA-EM5II housing and I acquired another NA-EM1II housing. Everything was exchangeable and since then we could share all lenses/ports...

    Now to the new housing for A7R5: I did not consider Aquatica, as this is a quite exotic fabric here in Austria (and probably not much cheaper as Nauticam). For you it may be an argument how many of the Aquatica extensions/ports you can continue to use with the new camera. I did consider Isotta, because these housings have good reputation and are smart and light and Seacam, because their factory is close to our house and I could go there even by bicycle (in case I needed a spare part). At the end, it was because of the compatibility (and the very good personal experience) why I decided for Nauticam again: just with the 35,5mm N100/N120 adapter (that almost every A7/A1/Nauticam photographer seems to have anyhow), I can use a lot of the existing stuff (as listed at the top). One may be able to use them also via special adapters on the other housings, but this requires recherches and they also cost money (Isotta was very friendly and gave advice; Seacam told me they do not support people to mount third party stuff to their housings :unsure:). Not to speak about the excellent water contact optics that Nauticam produces (WWL/WACP etc...) that many FF photographers acquire sooner or later. They fit without any further efforts to a Nauticam housing, while with other brands one has always to look to find a solution (there are plenty of treads here about such issues)), sometimes one may be the first to do so (=a lot of problems and additional costs instead just going under the water and produce photos)...

    => Clearly I recommend Nauticam (this is what I have just considered and decided in the last weeks).

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  8. Based on my experience (owner of Aquatica staff) is that since technical support in EU is not easy to find in comparison to Nauticam, i move to Nauticam for my Canon R7.

  9. 20 hours ago, Arianna Skipper said:

    Hey all— after selling my DSLR rig, I’m finally bringing my topside camera underwater. 
    I am looking for general advice or testimonials about the setups people seem to like for their a1 or other Sony mirrorless systems. 
    I had an Aquatica for my DSLR— recommend that I stick with them for the a1? 
    I also do not have strobes for this rig yet, but I need to settle on a pair so I can choose my bulkhead. 
    Thanks in advance— I know if this a broad post, but I’m simply looking for what people recommend, what they wish they had/hadn’t purchased, etc. Thank you all!

    Hi Arianna, I have used and reviewed Sony equipment for some time now using Aquatica, Ikelite, Marelux and Nauticam housings. I have also shot the A1 in Marelux and Nauticam. If you would like to read the reviews send me a PM and I will direct you to the links.

    Also are you intending to use some of your Aquatica ports or do you intend to start all over?

  10. 30 minutes ago, Phil Rudin said:

    Hi Arianna, I have used and reviewed Sony equipment for some time now using Aquatica, Ikelite, Marelux and Nauticam housings. I have also shot the A1 in Marelux and Nauticam. If you would like to read the reviews send me a PM and I will direct you to the links.

    Also are you intending to use some of your Aquatica ports or do you intend to start all over?

    Hi Phil. Thanks for your response. I would be interested in reading your reviews. 
    Regarding ports, I’m starting over. All I currently have are some video lights and arms!

  11. 4 hours ago, Arianna Skipper said:

    Hi Phil. Thanks for your response. I would be interested in reading your reviews. 
    Regarding ports, I’m starting over. All I currently have are some video lights and arms!

    I would suggest looking at what lenses you would like to house first - don't start with the housing.  Once that is decided compare the port solutions particularly if you decide on a wet lens like a WWL with a built in Nauticam bayonet.  Then work out how each of them attaches to the housing and price each solution up.  The solution may well become obvious once you have done that as for example Nauticam ports attach seamlessly to the Nauticam bayonet, other will require adapters, others still might require a DIY solution or for you to work out exactly the right extension.  Fisheye lenses will also have different port solutions that may not be offered by all housing vendors.  

    The premise is the housings are all quite good, some have better ergonomics than others and different sizes and weights and of course prices.  But the best housing is no good if for example it's difficult to attach you preferred port - you will at least get a short list this way and can then compare housing features.  

    On strobes I think with the A1 a trigger with optical cables will likely be your solution and you can choose any strobes that are optically triggered.

    Edited by ChrisRoss

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.