Any particular recommendations for protecting camera gear when entering or exiting during a shore dive? I’m not as stable in the surge as I was in my 30s . So far I have clips to hold the rig to the front of my BC, and dome and port covers that will be on during entries and exits. Any other ideas would be helpful.
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
Shore Diving - how to protect equipment
-
-
I don't recommend clip your camera to your BC. That is more likely to damage your camera unless it is truly tiny. I suggest a carrying strap across the top of the arms that allows you to carry it in one hand much like you would a shopping bag. It is close to the ground so you won't drop and damage it, and it will be under water until you get in ankle deep water.
-
I use much the same system as davehicks. A carrying handle across the camera and hold the system as low as possible and get it in the water as quickly as possible. In places like Bonaire, I used to buy a cheap plastic laundry basket and use that to carry my camera as close to the water as I could - then put a couple of rocks in it once it’s empty to stop it blowing or floating away.
Crossing slippery rocks with dive gear and a camera is always a bit if a nightmare. I definitely wouldn’t clip it to my BC - unless very small as Dave suggests. If you fall it’s not just the camera that’s going to get a good smack! A buddy who has free hands is also very helpful…..
-
1 hour ago, TimG said:
I use much the same system as davehicks. A carrying handle across the camera and hold the system as low as possible and get it in the water as quickly as possible. In places like Bonaire, I used to buy a cheap plastic laundry basket and use that to carry my camera as close to the water as I could - then put a couple of rocks in it once it’s empty to stop it blowing or floating away.
Crossing slippery rocks with dive gear and a camera is always a bit if a nightmare. I definitely wouldn’t clip it to my BC - unless very small as Dave suggests. If you fall it’s not just the camera that’s going to get a good smack! A buddy who has free hands is also very helpful…..
I'm the opposite for Sydney shore diving where I'm dealing with a little bit of swell and need free hands to climb over the rocks. Try holding your camera and donning or removing your fins with a bit of swell added to the mix, or having to get out onto a rock shelf. I've done it many times without issue, even slipped and fallen on my butt without issue, with the camera clipped off. By clipping off I mean that I have a clip on each handle connected to a d-ring so the camera hangs from the BCD straps.
Apart from that you could consider core exercises to improve your balance, I had to do some weight work to improve my leg strength on one leg where I had knee ligament damage in the past, made a useful difference
-
Thank you all. If I fall, which is becoming more common due to knee and ankle injuries plus age, I generally fall on my side or back but carrying the camera low to the water makes a lot of sense. I pretty much just dive Bonaire, so while I do sometimes use my hands for bracing this is minimal. I have upped my exercise but haven't been as diligent as I would have liked.
-
I have seen at least one person who uses a foldable hiking pole for shore dive entries and exits. Maybe something to consider.
-
I also add my 2c although the Mediterranean is a pond compared to the ocean.
I use the same technique as Tim and Dave but I also try to shorten the stretch where I have to carry the housing and other gear by hand. In Italy it is mandatory for divers to use a signal buoy so when I go in from land, as soon as the depth allows me, I hang the housing on a bolt snap under the buoy and drag everything with me. I usually use it for fins as well. So I only have to carry everything by hand when the water is less than a meter deep.
Of course I realize that with ocean waves this is not easy.