Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony E-Mount WWL-1 vs WACP-C

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony E-Mount WWL-1 vs WACP-C

8 posts
  1. I think the WACP-C is a very good fit for all camera formats where wet lenses are not an option and there are many out there.

    However for the e-mount moving from the WWL-1 to the WACP-C only means access to the Sony 28-70 which is the original kit lens of the A7 series. This lens is marginally better than the 28-60mm some people even say it is worse but it is not and gives some more range on the tele end.

    I have been shooting in controlled environment the WWL Wet and Dry aka WWL-1 and WACP-C for both photos and videos

    My view is that using the Sony 28-60mm lens there is no  real difference between the two water contact optics in terms of image quality at distances of 0.5m and more for group of divers and schools of fish (though for my tests I only had group of divers). At close range both lenses need to be stopped down a lot to give good performance and there is not much between the two using the sony 28-60mm to be worth it.

    I believe the substantially identical image quality with the 28-600 is driven primarily by the dimensions of the lens which I want report below. I have had access to the WACP-C prototype that does not have a float collar but is very much the same lens as the production version. So I could run a fair side by side comparison. Wet means wwl-1 dry means WACP-C (which is the WWL Dry mount)

    Length

    Wet 97

    Dry 110

    Dome Size

    Wet 4.33"

    Dry 5"

    Width

    Wet 126

    Dry 147

    For all intents and purposes the WWL-DRY aka WACP is a lens that is 15% larger than the WWL-1. This is not large enough to make a real impact on image quality as far as I can see. There is also no benefit in itself for the dry mount. In fact it would appear that the WWL-1 performs better in back lit shots.

    I believe other lenses could make the WACP-C a stronger proposition for e-mount in terms of image quality. I am testing the Tamron 20-40mm 2.8 and the results are superior by all means to the Sony 28-60 especially at close range. This lens stops at 40mm if you need more zoom the best option remains the Sony 28-70. I have flagged this lens to Nauticam and they are investigating it. Will post test photos when I can.

     

  2. thanks for putting all the time and effort into this. what extension are you using for the tamron 20-40?

  3. thanks for putting all the time and effort into this. what extension are you using for the tamron 20-40?

    The lens that I use on the left of this photo has no float collar and no extension built in. d0ef42b0cd115e032a51e9efcdb812c9.jpg
    I am using the N120 to N100 adapter and a set of extension and conversion rings to get to equivalent 45 N100 which doesn’t exist. The lens would work also with N100 50mm extension ring but in my view that is suboptimal.
    This is why I contacted Nauticam which will have a look at it.
    Ideally you need a zoom ring and a 45mm extension or as minimum a zoom ring with the 50mm extension to make this work
    I am doing more rigorous testing to ensure I am not victim of a placebo effect!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Some examples of edge sharpness with Sony 28-60mm

    No difference that I can see the WWL-1 shot is closer so harder situation

    WWL left WACP-C right

     

    Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 23.20.55.png

    Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 23.20.37.png

  5. Thanks for doing the comparison analysis!

  6. Great info and thanks for all the hard work.

  7. Agreed, surprisingly I found it on your website before seeing it here! I have two WWL1-B's so glad I don't need to waste more money!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.