Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

help with focus modes for Sony 28-60mm with WWL-1

Started by rwb500 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

help with focus modes for Sony 28-60mm with WWL-1

7 posts
  1. Hello,

    Going to Raja Ampat very soon, I will be using my Sony A7r III with Nauticam WWL-1 for the first time.  What focus mode is recommended?  I think I will start with back-button AF, AF-C, lock AF flexible spot.  This will allow me to focus on anything close up and reframe the shot pretty easily, I think?  But perhaps there is a simpler solution?  For many shots I bet wide AF with focus linked to the shutter would work too...

  2. 5 hours ago, rwb500 said:

    Hello,

    Going to Raja Ampat very soon, I will be using my Sony A7r III with Nauticam WWL-1 for the first time.  What focus mode is recommended?  I think I will start with back-button AF, AF-C, lock AF flexible spot.  This will allow me to focus on anything close up and reframe the shot pretty easily, I think?  But perhaps there is a simpler solution?  For many shots I bet wide AF with focus linked to the shutter would work too...

    Single AF is sufficient or even DMF. With a fisheye lens there is no point bothering with tracking or anything else most of the scene unless you are really close is in focus

    In this video I shot recently I maybe focussed two or three times

     

  3. Can’t agree. On my A7IV I always use Spot in the Middle, AF-C and tracking. Set to animal recognition. 
    you chose the subject, reframe and shoot. 
     

    don‘t know if that works well on the A7rIII
     

  4. 1 hour ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

    Can’t agree. On my A7IV I always use Spot in the Middle, AF-C and tracking. Set to animal recognition. 
    you chose the subject, reframe and shoot. 
     

    don‘t know if that works well on the A7rIII
     

    And why? Just to have the camera fail? There is no need to do any CAF with the WWL-1 

    I use this lens since 2015

    Have you actually tried using back button focus or single af?

    There is no need to do any tracking the lens is afocal everything is in focus from the surface to infinity once the lens is focussed for any shot that is not super close

    Explain why the diver in the video is in focus even if the distance changes and why everything is in focus during the swimming

    Edited by Interceptor121
  5. With wide angle work, comes a lot of depth of field so most any AF method will work.  Where you may have some minor challenges if shooting scenes where you have a main subject at maybe 1m but have foreground a lot closer.  I found with a fisheye shooting things like sea fans along walls the closest part of the wall would not quite be in focus.  Easily fixed by focusing on a closer section.

    I could see CFWA on something like clownfish constantly moving maybe needing tracking, but if you are close enough to need tracking the clownfish would probably bury itself in the anemone.

    One solution is to setup up two shooting modes that you can recall - I assume you can do that on the main dial of the A7RIII, one at S-AF and the other with C-AF and other settings that might match shooting active subjects needing tracking

  6. That’s not true either unless you want to have the clownfish in focus and the rest blurred when you are at close range you will stop down the aperture so that the anemone is in focus and is well frame. Where the clownfish is in the frame is not relevant for focus
    Different scenario you are operating at high magnification you have little depth of field tracking is useful to make sure your subject is as much as possible in focus. This is however a macro scenario not wide angle
    In real terms you will close down your lens to f/16 at close focus wide angle and still using single focus. Even f/11 can be sufficient see the reef props in the video sharp throughout including the tiles back to front


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. thanks everyone!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.