Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Amed & Tulamben Bali

Started by Luko ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Amed & Tulamben Bali

7 posts
  1. Hi all,

    Just a short report before it gets too old to show and before going back on dive holidays to the PIs. Maybe interesting for current or future R7 users, I haven't read many of them, although the Canon R7 camera is clearly a success worldwide (it was out of stock in France end in the last months of 2022)

    Xmas 2022 and 10 days diving in Bali, 2 days in Padang Bai, 2 days in Amed 6 days in Tulamben trying my brand new rig : Canon R7 in a Nauticam NAR7 housing using the Tok10-17 for wide angle shots and a recently purchased RF100mm macro (which proved to be the ultimate weapon for supermacro) replacing an old EF100 USM lens. 

    First impressions : 

    - I am used to the SLR so I had to adapt to the MIL logics especially for the use of the EVF which needed some brain activity for each image in the first dives. I had customized some buttons on the housing (EVF/screen switch, AFON, eye focus, etc.) before the trip and hardly used my camera landside except for a short citybreak in Tallin and Helsinki.

    - The AF of the R7 is a big step for the mankind (at least for me), it's incredible, especially the AI eye focus feature which works splendidly with fish and even bright eyed crustacea like crabs or some shrimps (doesn't for nudibranch though).

    - probably not new for the MIL users but I think the contarsty EVF viewing brings much more comfort to macro shooters than checking the results on the screen for almost every image. I love the contrasty EVF for macro and supermacro, much easier to view than optical viewfinder.

    - that said, I lost the TTL functionnality that I was using with my dSLR triggerred from the builtin camera flash since no external trigger supplier can synch Canon TTL with the original Retra flashes -because of proprietary TTL-... I even had difficulties to synch them on manual mode, solved with the remote of help Nauticam USA which I would like to thank here.

    First 2 days in Padang Bai... nuthin' fancy, more divers than mantas at Manta Point low viz around Nusa Penida, lots of errors, skipped the 2nd day where I got cold from Aircon.

    Transfer to Amed diving with 2Fish, excellent customer oriented operation from Manado: I wanted to dive the Japanese wreck I hadn't dived the past 8 years, this is a less frequently proposed spot  since it lies further from Amed and needs a 25 minutes car ride. Also most of the operations don't know to completely dive it (the wreck itself is not the main interest, there are lots of alternative bommies away from it. That was the spot to use the Tok10-17.

    52601026318_5aebb3f944_z.jpg

    52615043331_86a2f04ea8_z.jpg

    52615304329_a395c2e54c_z.jpg

    52614947766_c052790755_z.jpg

    Amed macro spots were clearly a step below Tulamben's, anyway I didn't expect much as I was meeting my good friend and ace dive guide Ajiex the days after.

    Tulamben was awakening from the tourist loss of the pandemia, most restaurants had closed, we were only few guests at Tauch Terminal and we met very few divers on Tulamben beaches, nothing to complain about :) ... Unfortunately the weather started to get quite grey, not so much wind or big waves though, but a kind of dull and cold rainfall that was creeping over our enthusiasm. Couldn't say that was our best dive campaign ever, I still enjoyed the 70-80minutes dives 3 times a day during which I dealt with the novel features of my R7 and witnessed the RF100 addition was absolutely great. I can say it's the best and sharpest macro lens I have ever used.

    52600957978_42b7cab391_z.jpg

    52615487950_8a75476670_z.jpg

    52615545883_9b519334b4_z.jpg

    52614546137_ca3f35dd93_z.jpg

    52839040352_51984e1b72_z.jpg

    52615488060_8fbc2910af_z.jpg

    52615055336_2f9a4628bd_z.jpg

    52615055296_f28610f426_z.jpg

    Edited by Luko
  2. Super pics, Luko! The Tiger shrimp and Hairy shrimp shots are terrific. Back light with a snoot?

  3. 1 hour ago, TimG said:

    Super pics, Luko! The Tiger shrimp and Hairy shrimp shots are terrific. Back light with a snoot?

    Thanks. All of them snooted, some of them backlit with the snoot.

  4. super images loved all of them. the hairy shrimp is special. Thanks for sharing.

  5. Luko,

    Beautiful pictures!  Just received my Nauticam NA-R7 housing today.  I  was a bit disappointed that I now have to buy a N100 to N120 Port adapter to use my ports from my old system (Tokina 10-17 and EF 100mm macro).  However, I am very excited to try out the camera and housing in a couple of weeks in the Galapagos!

    I have a question with regard to using the viewfinder vs. the rear screen while in the housing.  I have a 180 degree viewfinder for the housing.  Have you set up the camera to only view through the viewfinder or only through the rear screen (it appears those are the only 2 choices on the camera and while in the housing, you can use both at the same time, unless I am mistaken).  How do you work this underwater?

    Thanks! 

    Jeff

  6. On 5/4/2023 at 5:33 AM, JeffKouba said:

    Luko,

    Beautiful pictures!  Just received my Nauticam NA-R7 housing today.  I  was a bit disappointed that I now have to buy a N100 to N120 Port adapter to use my ports from my old system (Tokina 10-17 and EF 100mm macro).  However, I am very excited to try out the camera and housing in a couple of weeks in the Galapagos!

    I have a question with regard to using the viewfinder vs. the rear screen while in the housing.  I have a 180 degree viewfinder for the housing.  Have you set up the camera to only view through the viewfinder or only through the rear screen (it appears those are the only 2 choices on the camera and while in the housing, you can use both at the same time, unless I am mistaken).  How do you work this underwater?

    Thanks! 

    Jeff

    Hello Jeff,

    Sorry for my late reply, I am coming back only today from a dive trip in the Philippines.

    Yes I agree the 100 to 120 port adapter is a bit of a pain in the neck until Nauticam rolls out a new series of ports compatible with all the lenses, that said I was able to keep my 120 Zen minidome with its zoom gear. I guess it will take quite some time since there is a significant number of 120 ports SLR that are still active. 

    I have customized the * lock exposure button on teh R7 in order to switch from screen to viewfinder display, hence I am able to select any of the viewing/shooting modes during my dives. I tried both during my Phils trip, as much as I thought the screen display was much more comfortable for shooting wide angle, I realized it didn't have the precision of the viewfinder, especially when you review the shots. I had the bitter experience to assess underwater my images were evenly exposed when seen on the screen while they were not while reviewing them more closely and without the blue underwater light bias into the viewfinder.   

    Might be a personal taste, but I wouldn't recommend shooting and reviewing the images on the rear screen when you have a better and more precise tool such as the viewfinder to do this work.

     

    Edited by Luko
  7. Thanks Luko.

    I figured a custom button to switch between viewfinder and screen would be the best bet.  Interesting to note the exposure difference.  I will watch for that.  I am taking my housing and camera to do some snorkeling on my first trip to the Galapagos on Tuesday with my wife and see how it all works.  I have a liveaboard dive trip to the Galapagos in June where I'll use my full rig (with flash/video lights).  I'll let you know how it goes.

    Thanks again. 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.