Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Malapascua, Philippines: first experiences with Sony A7 IV

Started by ajay ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Malapascua, Philippines: first experiences with Sony A7 IV

1 posts
  1. Having (not so recently) upgraded from my trusty old Nex-7 system to a new Sony A7 IV system, I was eager to give it a try. So we made q short trip to nearby Malapascua. Got lucky and saw a few threshers at Kimud shoal (it seems they have migrated from Monad shoal to Kimud lately). I also tried some macro with my new setup (it's the Sony 28-60 kit lens) with my old Subsee +10 wet macro lens. Executive summary: (a) these new cameras need a lot more training and planning, with tons of customizable settings; I am still struggling to master the camera; (b) my macro setup gives a very short range of distances where I can get the camera to focus - it may be an issue with my settings, or maybe the Subsee +10 does not play so nice in this setup as it used to with the old Nex-7). I was hoping to get a sharp focus on the mantis shrimp eye, but looks a bit muddy to me.. Anyway, I'll see how the learning curve improves performance over the next trip or two. In the meantime, here are a few photos from the trip. More photos and trip blog can be found here:  Malapascua, Easter 2023

    Cheers,

    Ajay

    1-thresher-shark_DSC00603.jpg

    1-thresher-shark_DSC00681.jpg

    mantis-shrimp_DSC01099.jpg

    whip-coral-shrimp_DSC01083.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.